Topic

ULA Conduit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Conduit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Anyone out there have any new info on/experience with the ULA Conduit pack? I’m looking to try to find something durable for 20oz or less that will comfortably carry 20-25 or more pounds for my 7.5 lb base weight (the reasoning being that my pack will ‘feel’ lighter with a slightly heavier pack that is capable of adequately transfering a larger load, as compared to lighter (10 oz or less) pack that can only carry a maximum of 12-15 pounds). My previous pack was the ULA P-2, and I’ve really grown to love the hipbelt pockets….so, what do ya know?
    Thanks,
    Dave:)

Anonymous
    Inactive

David,

No field experience yet. I just received mine in the mail Friday. My first impression of the ULA Conduit Pack was Damn this is Good Looking Pack! Brian’s attention to detail is amazing

Second, this pack will never need to be babied Dyneema Gridstop was used through out the construction of the pack. It has ergonomic shoulder straps, top and midway compression straps, 2 very generous size hip pockets and exterior mesh pockets. I can’t wait to take it for a test drive.

Weight: 20oz. + Total Volume: 3,200ci + Load Carrying Capacity: 20-30 lbs = NICE!

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Roger,

The pack really has me excited too….especially if it provides comfort thats anywhere comparable to the P-2. You really will grow to love those hipbelt pockets too! Do you think you might be able to throw a 15 lb load in there, and report back on your experiences?

Thanks a lot,

Dave

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

Hi,
    If I remember correctly, a few years ago BPL noted some problems in ULA’s torso measurements, basically that they were too short for spec. Any first impressions on this? I’m also itching to buy this one, but like Dave I’m hoping to hear some feedback first. Otherwise yeah, it looks pretty ideal.

edit: has anyone compared two sizes, or had to order up a size?

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Jason,

In regards to the sizing problems noted by BPL : I ordered a size medium P-2 pack (19″ maximum torso length) for my 18.5″ torso and initially found it to be a bit small. The waistbelt was positioned at my belly button, rather than my hipbones, and I initially thought about sending it back for a larger size. Luckily, the hipbelt on the P-2 is removable and could thus be adjusted a bit lower to fit me properly.
    From the pictures of the Conduit on the ULA website, it doesnt look like the hipbelt is going to be adjustable/removable, so you may want to think about ordering the next torso size up, especially if you’re pushing the upper limit. If nothing else, rest assured that Brian is a great guy to work with, and he’ll gladly allow you to make an exchange in the event that you ordered a size too small.

Douglas Meredith

@dougmeredith

This pack looks really interesting to me. My big concern is that I don’t carry a pad of any sort to give it structure. I use a hammock with an underquilt. How am I likely to make out with a pack like this?

Doug

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Doug,

You might be alright as long as your total pack weight (including food and water) is not going to exceed 10-15 pounds. Anything over that would probably be a bit too uncomfortable (book bag comfort) over long distances. Then again….I have no actual experience in the ‘hauling a pack with absolutely no frame’ department, so it might be worth giving a try just to see how things feel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave and Jason,

Dave the pack had no problem what so ever carrying 15lbs up and down hills on uneven terrain in comfort. I reloaded the Conduit with a total of 25lbs and hit the trail again the results were as expected a little less comfortable but still acceptable.

Jason as far as the fit I’m 6’4” 210lbs so I ordered the Conduit in M/L 19-21” and found the pack riding a little higher then I would of preferred. The Hip Belt was comfortable and adjusting to fit wasn’t a problem. Wish they had a L/XL 21”-23” mainly for the packs length to compensate for the taller crowd.

My2cents, Your Mileage May Vary…
    Regards

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

Don’t forget ULA packs are semi-custom. Here’s what I would do if I were to order an ULA pack…

1) Determine **MY** ideal distance between the shoulderstrap **attachment** point and the hipbelt’s center line.

2) Call/email Brian and ask him to make me a pack with those specs.

Ex. I have an 18.5″ torso. I prefer 2″ wrap-around on my shoulderstraps. So, I want a pack that has 16.5″ between the shoulderstrap attachment point and the hipbelt center line.

Of course, the Conduit doesn’t have load lifters, so I might need to re-evaluate what sort of torso length I’d want from a load-lifterless pack.

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

Doug,
    You might consider a Therm-a-rest Lite seat (3.5 oz- 12 x 16 x 1.55 inches) as a pack frame for the Conduit. It is handy around camp and should work in the Conduit as a frame. Also can be used as a flotation device.

http://www.rei.com/product/47784040.htm?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Douglas Meredith

@dougmeredith

Carol,

That is neat, I didn’t realize Thermarest made anything that light. I have heard complaints about trying to use inflatable pads as pack frames. I wonder if I would be better off with something like the Gossamer torso-length pad.

I also wonder how much pack volume I would be giving up with either of these solutions.

Doug

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Doug,

If a solid review is posted for the Conduit soon, I will be using the GG torso length pad for its frame, and can let you know how that works in terms of support and loss of packable volume. I dont imagine it will pose much of a problem though.

Douglas Meredith

@dougmeredith

The order page for this pack lists five options. Are any or all of these removable? My inclination is to just order all of the options for flexability if they are removable. Otherwise I will have to think more carefully so as not to be stuck with unnecessary weight.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

According to many other Posters’ experiences which I recall reading, when used as a virtual frame, in many applications, an inflatable pad is somewhat inferior to closed cell pads. Even ignoring this fact , there is one other reason why this sit-pad might not be a good choice for use as a v-frame. Look at the length. It’s only 16″. Is this really long enough for your application? Or, do you need something 18″-20″ in length. Many closed cell pads are 20″ wide, making them more suitable for a wider range of applications. Just a thought.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Doug,

From what I can tell, all of the options are removable.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/options.htm

Douglas Meredith

@dougmeredith

Dave,

I should have found that page. Sorry to make you do my research for me.

I really like this pack. I think I am just going to go ahead and order one.

Doug

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Ahh no worries Doug. I agree…it is tempting isnt it! Let me know what you think when it arrives?

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Roger,
    When did you order your Conduit? I’m anxiously awaiting mine, but have heard nothing from Brian for over a month now.

Also, in your weight tests, were you using a closed-cell foam pad (ex. NightLite torso) to create a virtual frame?

Thanks!

sean sangree

@sangree99a

I spoke with Brian on the phone today for like 15 minutes. He seems like a great guy. I ordered a Conduit today as well, and he said it’ll take about 2 weeks. I asked about longer torso measurements as well (even before reading this forum thread) because it’s something I’ve always had a problem with. Brian indicated that a custom length (other than ULA’s S/M or M/L) would take significantly longer because they’re really busy right now (I can imagine).

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Sean,
    That’s great to hear. I ordered my pack a little over a month ago, so here’s hoping it’ll be here in the next two weeks. Brian really does seem like a great guy, and I’m happy to be supporting small businesses such as his.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Miles,

I ordered the Conduit back in September knowing it wouldn’t be available till 2006. For the Field Test yes I used the Gossamer Gear NightLight ¾ Sleeping Pad – Custom Cut.

Sean,

Brian must not of finished many packs today (Sorry Mike) I phoned him too. I concur longer torso custom sized packs are a possibility but your looking at May/June 06. Still a custom fit ULA Conduit is like a piece of art and I feel is worth the wait.

Regards

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

The waist strap seems very minimal in the pictures. Any feedback would be appreciated?

Also, any specific suggestions for a frame sheet?
    (EDIT – Disregard the frame question, I just saw page 2)

thx, jeff

sean sangree

@sangree99a

When I spoke to Brian yesterday he agreed that the waist strap on the Conduit is indeed fairly minimal, which is in keeping with the rest of the pack. This is a frameless rucksack rated from 20-30 lbs. I think the part of the waistbelt with the pockets has 1/4″ or 3/8″ foam padding, and then it tapers to just nylon webbing in the front. The next model up, the Circuit, has a much stiffer hipbelt along with a carbon fiber/delron hoop frame. It’s also 12 oz heavier, and rated from 25-35 lbs.

If you listen to the podcast interview with Brian which is linked to on his website, he actually talks about the hipbelt padding on the various models.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools