Topic

Ed Wardle’s trek across the Yukon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Ed Wardle’s trek across the Yukon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

Is anybody following Ed Wardle's trek across the Canadian Yukon? http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/08/alone-in-wild-yukon-survival-saga.html

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Hm, I don't like the "harrowing survival odyssey" stuff. I spent three months walking south-north through the Yukon and whilst some of the hiking was tough I enjoyed it.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I'm with you,leave out the skin the porcupine to eat it stuff there still is some gorgeous country in there.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

He was pulled out a few days ago (~Aug 22)…I think he was malnourished/sick or something.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

It's too bad he had to end it early but good for him for getting out there.

Chris, your trip must have been great. By the way, I've got the Third Edition of The Backpacker's Handbook and I think it is the best how-to book I've seen on the subject. I hope you do a Fourth Edition!

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

Bruce, glad to hear you like my book. There should be a fourth edition sometime though not in the next year or so.

The Yukon hike was wonderful. There are virtually no trails so route finding was interesting and some of the terrain is very challenging. Often the route was determined by the nature of the terrain. The sense of wilderness is tremendous of course. And there are very few other hikers, none in some areas. At one point I went ten days without seeing another person.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools