Topic

2010 GoLite Peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2010 GoLite Peak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Until now, the only info I had heard on the new GoLite Peak backpack (little brother to the Jam) is from the BPL coverage at the outdoor retailer show which didn't say much more than the weight (27oz) and the size (2300 cubic inches).

This evening I read a few more details which shed some light on the surprisingly heavy weight here:
    http://www.campist.com/archives/golite-peak-backpack-2010.html

Of interest is that the hipbelt is actually detachable. That's sure to save a lot of weight by leaving it at home since the hipbelt includes pockets. Also, the backpad is detachable too which likely saves 1-2oz if you don't need it. This pack could be a lot more tempting than I initially thought. There's a good chance it's sub 20oz with these things detached and you could save another 2oz by removing the hydration bladder and trimming the straps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

By the time you are done with all of that why don't you just sew yourself a Ray-Way pack?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Dan, Thanks for posting this. This pack sure fits a needed spot…in between the ion and Jam2.

I'm going to guess that the weight is reported incorrectly. If it is the Jam little bro it should weigh less… 1 lb 4 oz = 20 oz …I would hope.

I'm all for sewing your own gear, but removing the hydration sleeve and taking off the removable items is about an hour job versus a several day project. You also have a pack made out of dyneema which is much sturdier then a rayway pack out of nylon.

Jamie

David Ure

@familyguy

No – Dan is correct on the weight. See the Golite Brochure here:

http://lighthiker.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/golite_peak.pdf

647575757 3

@686425

David…could you post a link so we could see the whole thing?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Jamie,

The new 2010 Jam now weighs 31oz, so the Peak is less than the Jam as you would expect.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Dan, That makes sense. I can not believe golite is adding more weight to the 2010 Jam…but I guess I should not be surprised. I was really hoping that golite would put out a 16 oz pack between the 08 Jam2 (20 oz) and the ion (10 oz). Make it roll top with side pockets and pack pocket. Give it a removable waist strap…guess not.

David Ure

@familyguy

Sorry Rich – that's all I have at this point.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Really, I dont see the point in making a smaller almost identical jam2. I would just keep my jam 2 08'and use the compactor feature when I carried less.
    Still waiting for the allusive 2000 cu bushwhacker worthy under a pound pack.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Brian has a point….why use the new Peak over the 2009 Jam which can be reduced with the comPacktor system. Since these two packs weigh the same, it seems wise to choose the Jam which has the option of carrying larger loads. I guess we won't really know what the best pick is until the Peak hits shelves and we can see if the extra weigh GoLite added to their ultralight lineup is worth the weight. I'm still skeptical the extra 5oz they added to the Jam is going to improve much since my 2009 Jam seems so darn good. The thought of improved padding doesn't tempt me at all since I find my 2009 Jam 100% comfortable….I can't imagine anything easier to carry.

David Ure

@familyguy

The added adjustability to maximize torso fit may be a seeling feature. Despite the weight, I am not sure too many UL packs have this….

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

According to Gear Junkie (link below), the Peak won't be available until Febuary….that's another 6 months :(

I'm curious to see more details on it. I wonder how light it can be with the removable back pad and hipbelt. It looks like the 'hipbelt' is only sorta detachable. It appears that a strap run inside the hipbelt pockets and you can basically remove the hipbelt pockets and leave just the basic strap with no padding….not too sure on this though.

The Peak is spec'd at 27oz and the removable back pad is likely about 1oz (that's what the 2009 Jam pad weighs) and the hipbelt pockets/padding is likely another 3oz or so I'm guessing. So that puts it at 23oz roughly in stripper mode….or just 0.3oz less than my 2009 Jam if I pull the back pad out of it too.

S P

@highaltitude

Pretty soon GoLite is going to have to change their company name.

I don't get it. I wonder how they justify all the weight increase when they are in the conference room talking about updating products.

David Ure

@familyguy

Golite is using recycled products for all of their packs for 2010, including the Jam, Pinnacle, and Peak. Because of that, the fabric has gone up slightly in weight and I am not clear at this point whether the fabric will be tougher or not.

Personally as an environmentalist, I applaud the move for a little bit more weight. Believe it or not, physically I can handle it.

David Ure

@familyguy

On a side note, my discussions with Golite indicate that they will be using a lighter version of their silnylon for 2010 on their UL shelters so the weight of those (i.e. Hex, etc) will be coming down…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools