Topic

Yes, my son has seen the light

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yes, my son has seen the light

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    S P

@highaltitude

This happened last week but I am still so happy I have got to post about it.

I have a daughter (12) and a son (8).

My daughter has always loved the outdoors. My wife was carrying her up mt whitney at 3 months old. No matter where we went, snow camping, road trips, the backcountry etc… we towed her along and she loved it. To this day we spend a lot of time outdoors together. She is also a great climber.

My son hates the outdoors. As a matter of fact he has always hated going anywhere. Road trips, travelling, camping, hiking etc….. never liked it. He has slowly started to come around and likes to travel but when it came to hiking he still hated it.

Last week I take the kids out for a day hike at a local spot. After a couple miles we get to a overlook with an awesome view. I am impressed my son has even made it this far, usually he is complaining within minutes.

We top out and my son starts to tell me how much fun he is having, how incredible the view is etc……

I was floored…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Great! Now keep striking while the iron is hot (i.e. continue to engage his interest).

It just shows that kids do change, and sometimes quite suddenly. A good thing, too!

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

You sound like my parents! Growing up in Colorado, whenever my folks had free time we all went camping. I always had chores to do, even while camping, so I wasn't all too thrilled about it (I would have rather been playing with friends or pretending to be a mountain lion or whatnot). Either they beat it into me, or I also spontaneously 'saw the light'. It's my main passion in life now.

My wife and I plan on taking our kid (who is still years away from being born) from the get-go.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

You gotta love it. We always took our girls when they were little and there always was a lot of complaining but now when they go with their boyfriends it is funny to hear them talk about how they are in charge.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools