Topic

Skivvies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Skivvies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Yup I'm starting a thread to ask about underwear.

I normally wear Icebreaker boxer briefs but have found them to simply be too warm and not able to dry fast enough. Anyone have some recommendations for some fast drying lightweight skivvies to keep the boys and me cool,dry and free of chafing durring summer hikes?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Skurka loves his GoLite Stride shorts. Pretty sure Ryan J. likes them too. I just ordered myself a pair to try out.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Ibex Balance boxer short — very comfortable, but pricey.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have the Balance Runner short and have done a 5 mile run in them in the GA heat. I did get some minor chaffing but the humidity here is pretty bad.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Anyone have some recommendations for some fast drying lightweight skivvies to keep the boys and me cool,dry and free of chafing durring summer hikes?"

Patagonia Classic Boxer Briefs. Airy, fast drying, and cool surfer dude color patterns. I'm assuming you wear long pants over them, BTW. If not, disregard this post.

David Ure

@familyguy

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

Nix 'em! Get some body-glide type stuff. "The answer my friend is blowing in the wind!

David Ure

@familyguy

"Clang, Clang."

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Patagonia Active Classic Boxer – every day no matter what – work or play

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Please excuse the indelicacy of some of the remarks below:

I used to let 'em hang in the wind in my youth, but older age produced a bit of chafing and the need for some support. They don't hang as high as they used to.

I tried a bunch of briefs, boxers, and boxer briefs. The conclusion:

1. Boxers don't do a danged thing for you.

2. Briefs tend to ride up (ahem) uncomfortably.

3. Avoid cotton and silk, for the former makes you sweat and the latter (though silky smooth on the skin, you betcha), makes you stink in the very place you want to stink the least, especially when hiking with your beloved.

4. Boxer briefs are the way to go, and the Ex Officio version is, IMO, swell. They are thin, comfortable, don't ride up, and dry very quickly. Besides, my wife tells me they are tre sexy looking. (The package is, shall we say, well "framed.")

Now, I wear them everywhere, not just on BPing expeditions. What secret thrill does the aging college professor get at staid faculty meetings knowing that the boys are oh so well ensconced in Ex Officio boxer briefs?

Ah, if only I could find the words . . . ;-D

Seriously, great skivvies.

Stargazer

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

i have been using underarmour boxer/brief for 2 years. I purchased 2 pair and both are holding up well, each having ~ 4-500 miles on them..

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I exclusively use Ex Officio's boxer briefs. I bring 2 along on thru-hikes and am still using some from 2003. They last forever and have some sort of anti-microbial thingy that I suppose makes them not smell so bad, plus they dry very fast.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Zack,

I gotta tell you . . . Given the nature of the topic, your avatar is particularly appropriate! ;-)

Stargazer

Skip Booth
    BPL Member

@the1skipper

Locale: Southeast

I typically wear ExOfficio Boxers and while I love how quickly they dry I still find that I chafe fairly easily. I'd love to be able to find a good solution to prevent the chafing but until I do I find myself bringing along a travel size antiperspirant just for my boys :)

I've been considering trying some merino wool boxer briefs but from the comments in this thread I'm not sure I'd have any better luck there, possibly worse given that they don't dry as quickly.

David Ure

@familyguy

This thread is completely nuts…..

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

"This thread is completely nuts….."

LOLAFOTF! "Nuts" is exactly right.

Skip, the Ex Officio boxers don't do the job. It's like wearing a pair of pants under your pants. Get the boxer briefs. They provide the added anti-chafing, family-jewel-hugging characteristics.

Stargazer

PS. Oy. Sorry.

Skip Booth
    BPL Member

@the1skipper

Locale: Southeast

Fair enough – I'll give it a try. Any opinion on how Merino performs here versus synthetics? I love how Merino doesn't carry odors but it does take a little more time to dry out.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Skip, I've never met a sheep i didn't like.. oh heck that's just TMI…

but yes, merino is most likely a great choice over synthetics. you may find, however that you'll need a merino/spandex/lycra blend to keep 'em tight

Oh Noes! i said "tight" and "sheep" in the same post.. im doomed

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'd rather see the odor problem of synthetics solved more than the chafing issue. That, and I'd like to get that "nicely framed" image out of my mind.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'd like to pick up some boxer briefs that dry a lot faster than the generic cotton ones I'm using now. I was hiking 2 days ago and arrived at camp with a sweat soaked back (where my pack rests) and fairly soaked cotton boxers. My shirt was quick dry (polyester?) and in 45 min my back was dry. It was awesome. However, my boxers took most of the evening (3-4 hours to dry to a comfortable level….definately not good.

Odour and chaffing aren't huge concerns for me. I only get chaffing between my buns…and short of wearing a thong, no undies are going to prevent this….maybe some body glide will?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I've started using some Patagonia boxer briefs – very comfortable, but take some getting used to.

Sometimes, I'll just hike in my marathon-style running shorts. Built-in briefs there.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I have to admit that despite my hesitancey once I tried it I became a running short convert. I have had chafing problems in the past, too, but my GoLite Bajas and a touch of SportSlick have sure solved THAT problem. Something as light as the Baja can be worn under pants, as underwear. (I've done it.) I think the liner is important. I suppose that might might make lined running shorts the functional equivalent of boxer-briefs?

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

"I only get chaffing between my buns…and short of wearing a thong, no undies are going to prevent this….maybe some body glide will?"

I can't believe I have an opinion on this subject. Backpacking does create some interesting concerns.

Over the years, I've found that I have slowly eliminated all powders, toothpaste, salves, body glides, deodorants, and soaps and replaced them all with a small ziploc of baking soda.

I've used it as a foot powder, deodorant, cleaning agent, toothpaste, and anti-chafing agent, especially between the gluteus maximi, where neither the sun nor the boxer briefs don't shine.

Please. Stop me before I post again.

Stargazer

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

After the last post about the players shirts, here is their nylon underwear line…

http://www.mensunderwear.net/nylon_b-b.htm

Michael Oppegaard

@mike_o

Locale: Coastal NC

Another vote for the ex officios. It is hot and humid here on the coast and nothing dries faster.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools