Topic

help with quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear help with quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hunter nelson

@hunt4car

so last night i decided i would try to hack up my sleeping bag and make it in to a quilt.
    how should i go about doing this?
    its a right side zip synthetic mummy bag good to 40*
    i have a sewing machine but have little to no experience with it so how do i learn to use it and dose any one know of any one who has posted on how to do this to a bag
    thanks

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

Here is a link to someone who has done this. They converted a Campmor 20*F down sleeping bag into a quilt.

http://purebound.com/homemade/sleepingbag/

I found this on the first page of a google search for "convert sleeping bag into a quilt", and there could be many more people who have done it and posted on it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have Western Mountaineering Highlite- Large 6'6
    I took the entire zipper off and saved a few Oz..
    It works just like quilt, it spread out nice and wide with a great foot pocket also..It is now 35 degree Quilt that ways 18oz!!!!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

what i do.

1) Sew a line marking the size of the quilt (line is 1" larger than my finished size)

2) cut everything on the scrap side of the line off. (hoods & zip)

3) hem the sides

4) put on the drawcord tube and cords

That is basically it.

-Tim

hunter nelson

@hunt4car

it looks rather straight forward but were can i learn to use this sewing machine?once i learn how to do that im set.
    thanks for all of the help by the way.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

How to learn

1) Books from bookstore or library, including some old ones on making outdoor gear. Titles below:
    "Sew & Repair Your Outdoor Gear"
    "Outdoor Gear You Can Make Yourself"
    "Making Camping and Outdoor Gear"
    "Lightweight Camping Equipment and How to Make it"

2) Videos or DVD's from bookstore, library or online instructions

3) Lessons – paid instruction, helpful soles who will walk you through the process

It isn't that hard, but it is mystery laden if you don't understand what a stitch is. A handmade stitch typically uses one thread and one needle,but a machine stitch usually involves two threads (or more) and one needle.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Jay, you got robbed! Cutting your zipper off actually added weight! Theoretically a large Highlite should weigh 17 ounces; 3 feet of #3 zipper weighs less than an ounce. Regardless, a Highlite could make for a nice quilt. Did you open it up more toward the foot?

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

All you absolutely need is a friend or relative to show you for half an hour. A really good friend will sew the whole project for you.

Fabric stores and sewing machine stores often give lessons. Check the yellow pages under sewing.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Brad, With stuff sack the Highlight came in at 18.5oz..I did not cut down into the foot pocket..I actually thought it was heavier then that-I purchased the bag in 2003? Bottom line it still works great but I think I need some new overfill…I will call WM sometime…

-Jay

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Hey Jay, not to drift too far off thread… that Highlite's a great bag. I have a WM Antelope that's been with me for ages; last year I was going to send it in for an overfill because the loft was horrid. WM asked if I had cleaned it; I had. They suggested I clean it a couple more times. So I took it to the laundromat, washed it, left it in the machine and ran another wash cycle, took it out, centrifuged, then many hours on low in a dryer. Came out as good as new! Basically, I had just used the bag too much with too few washings and my body oils had built up on the down too much. Any chance you might just need to wash it a couple times in succession? Might be worth a shot.

And, um, in the spirit of the thread, converting something like that Highlite would make for a great quilt! (Especially if you cut a little further down…)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Hunter, I was in the same predicament not too long ago. Plenty of projects, but I couldn't even figure out how to thread my sewing machine. Other than family or friends who could help with that part of the process, there are some books… but the thing I found most helpful was actually the owner's manual for my sewing machine. If you don't have one, you might go to the manufacturer's website and see if there's something you can download.

Also check out thru-hiker.com for materials if you need them, and there are several brief tutorials on gear sewing.

Best of luck!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools