Topic

G-9, G-10, G-11….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography G-9, G-10, G-11….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Attention Canonauts, your G-11 has been announced. Canon's serious compact has the same lens as the G-10 but they've rolled back the pixel count, raised the dynamic range and restored the flippy screen.

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20090819_powershot.html

At about 13 ounces without battery it's inching close to the pound range in carry weight, but it's also a lot of camera. I'm betting the image quality will take a big step up with the reduction in pixel count.

The new S90 is a more weight-conscious alternative worth checking over as well.

Cheers,

Rick

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

For me, the S90 looks to be an almost ideal choice for lightweight backpacking — but I wish it had an optical viewfinder for those times when using the LCD panel is problematic…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi John,

Your comment is a good one. I'm not sure why, with Ricoh, Nikon and Panasonic all putting a hotshoe on their cameras in this class to accept an OVF or EVF, Canon decided not to do so. Perhaps they simply couldn't fit it?

Still, it looks like a good effort and an acknowledgement that even gargantuan Canon was missing a product in this popular market segment.

Cheers,

Rick

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I'm a bit disappointed by this upgrade… lower pixel count is great, but once again they have only included 640×480 movie resolution. I think most people were expecting HD resolution for the G11… they had it in the G9 (at only 15fps) and then it disappeared in the G10 and everyone complained about it. But it still hasn't made a reappearance. Considering that most compacts now do HD movies, it seems to me to be a very significant omission in a high end model. I can't quite understand it actually.

If I only want to take good quality photos, and don't mind carrying a pound I'll bring my dSLR. If I'm going to be saving some weight and carrying a compact I really expect to be able to shoot in HD. In five years time pretty much all screens are going to be HD, and I want my footage to at least be the correct aspect ratio!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools