Topic

Helsport

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Helsport

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    J R

@ravenul

Anyone familiar with Helsport?
    they are a Norwegian company, and they make sleeping bags, backpacks, and tents, plus a few other things…

Ive heard FANTASTIC things about their -50C rated “Arctic Super” sleeping bag, but virtually nothing about their other gear.

Im especially interested in anything people might know about their sleeping bags, but anything about their other gear is of interest too

thanks!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Helsport makes some really great gear, most of it designed, of course, for cold and rainy Norwegian conditions (there is a lot of bog, tundra, and taiga walking up there). Their gear tends to be somewhat heavy, but the workmanship is first-class. When I was looking for a solo shelter four years ago I almost bought their old Stetind tent. They now have a Hilleberg Akto look-alike (longer side entry), the Ringstind, which addresses issues that I don’t like about the Akto. Helsport gear is very expensive, though, due to high Norwegian prices.

You may want to check out Norröna, too. I actually like their clothing more.

A lot of Scandinavian outdoor clothing is made of cotton blends for the dry, sub-zero Arctic conditions, where breathability is more important than waterproofness (also Scandinavians in general are very concerned about protecting the environment and don’t like throwing things away after only a season of use, so they tend to make things that last). Keep an eye out for that when looking at their clothing and some of their shelters.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Another Scandinavian (Sweden) company Moskoselkatan, now “Tentipi”, makes beautiful Lapp-style conical “kåtas” (tents). While not exactly light, they really give you the sense of living as nomads do. I had a chance to sleep in one while in Sweden and fell in love with it. I promised myself that if I ever gathered enough money for it I’d love to buy one just for camping with a group of friends (not sure they would do very well for a light hike…).

J R

@ravenul

Miguel,

Thanks! The katas look very similar to Kifaru Tipi’s.

Ive been doing alot of thinking and came to the conclusion that with relativly few exceptions, if you want to know about a place, ask the locals (want to know what gear to use, ask the locals). They know what works and what doesnt.

If your going into the cold, talk to people who live outdoors in Alaska, Canada, Scandinavia, Russia…. see what they use, and use that.

If your going into the jungle, talk to the people who live outdoors in South East Asia, Indonesia, Brazil… see what they use, and use that.

Desert? Well…. you get the idea.

Right now my area of research is cold weather activity and survival. It hasnt been that cold locally as of late, but I do plan on heading off into the colder regions one day.

As for weight, it is a concern, but I pulk rather than backpack in the winter, so weight is a lesser factor than say… reliability.

Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools