Topic

Humphreys Basin-Waterfalls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Humphreys Basin-Waterfalls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Royce lakes Falls

Pine Creek Falls

TH Falls

??

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Uhhhh.. none of those are Humphreys Basin. I was there too this week though. Fantastic. Maybe we met? My video, backpacking with only a fanny pack @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPZ8yeKem88

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Jack I was there 8/3 to 8/7. I started at Pine Creek TH went up to Elba Lake then did Roget Lake Pass(X-C) to Mesa Lake, Desolation Lake and finally came back to Honeymoon Lake…The waterfalls are at the TH and in French Canyon..You are right-no waterfalls in Humphreys Basin..I just used the name (Humphreys Basin) to describe the entire area as whole…That area is awesome but very Desolate hence Desolation Lake and such.

-Jay

French Canyon

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Nice shots! I've been up Pine Creek a couple of times–it's one of the toughest climbs into the Sierra backcountry I've ever done, but worth it (endless drive to trailhead notwithstanding). Great area; you could spend weeks up there and still not see everything.

Cheers,

Rick

Ray Found
    BPL Member

@rayfound

This thread is what finally inspired me to join instead of lurking.

The French Canyon is one of my favorite places to visit, and the Royce Falls are worth a visit from anywhere within range of a reasonable dayhike.

There is a Rock, right in the middle of a Grassy spot, at the base of the falls.

It does take some steep scrambling to get to this part, but not too difficult. The chair is the perfect shape to use as a "Lazy-boy" chair.

I could happily spend hours just sitting on the "chair", spray from the falls all around me, and looking out over one of the great vistas of the sierras.Falls1falls2falls3falls4

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Thanks Rick, You are right-you could hike out there for days and still not see everything.I wanted to get to Granite Park but some bad wheather was starting to head my way… It took me about 6 hours to get to Pine Creek TH from the Bay Area..

-Jay

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Jay,

If you've not been yet, Granite Park is spectacular and leads to Italy Pass (at a gasp-inducing 12,400), which is gateway to a whole other set of peaks and lakes. I would definitely not want to be there in foul weather.

And here I sit, typing.

Cheers,

Rick

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ray, Get in the game!!! This website is awesome-I like your pictures!!!

It takes a few time to figure out how to down load pictures.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice Jay. Since I did the S. Lake over Lamarck to N. Lake I am inspired to do more trips in this area.

I have heard some great things about Granite Park and from what Carey has told me Lake Italy and Italy Pass is some real cool territory.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey Ken,Granite Park was on my to do list but bad weather was on the horizon..I was really impressed with the Glacier Divide where Evolution Valley was just on the otherside…Where are you heading to on Sept. 19th?

Mesa Lake and Glacier Divide

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools