Topic

Backcountry Fly Fishing with Tenkara: Ultralight Style and Simplicity

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Backcountry Fly Fishing with Tenkara: Ultralight Style and Simplicity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Michael Donovan
    BPL Member

@mpdonovan

Ryan. Killer video. Can you tell me anything about how the rod (and the fish) handled on dry flies – and what size flies did you use? Cheers my dear.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Sorry, my question is from the perspective of an expert novice: I usually go a fishin only a few times a year, but got the bug again this summer and now this article on Tenkara has really caught my interest. My question is this: Why not simply multi-use a carbon (or whatever) trekking pole and tie on a line ala Tenkara style? Would this set-up be as effective? as fun? I am interested in hearing about the differences. I do realize that the Tenkara set-up would give a more "poetic" experience. Mike

Daniel Galhardo

@dwgalhardo

Locale: Boulder, CO

Hi Michael,

I'm the founder of Tenkara USA. I don't think it's about a more poetic experience, but really the practical aspects of it. Unless you have a trekking pole that extends out a lot to reach, with a very fine tip to both be able to cast, and soft enough to feel pleasant to fish, it wouldn't really be a similar experience.

I'm all for improvising/ multi-use gear, and you may always even break a twig from a tree and fish, and yes, you may tie a line to a trekking pole, etc, but being able to reach farther, cast and play a fish are hard things to accomplish by improvising.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I just found Tenkara this summer, and have thoroughly enjoyed using my Tenkara rods! There is no way that a carbon fiber trekking pole (which I have) would replicate a Tenkara rod in fishing mountain streams! It's an elegant, simple, and effective way to fish. Kudos to Daniel for bringing this to the USA, and kudos to Ryan for bringing it to us who enjoy the mountains!

If you live in SoCal, PM me – I'd be happy to take you to a local park and let you experience Tenkara fishing directly!

James Rank

@gravitas

Ryan, thanks for sharing your insight into Tenkara. My rod came in a few days ago (IWANA 12') and I'm looking forward to this weekend when I'll be trying it out in the Catskill Region of NY. The simplicity of it drew me right in.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Thanks for your replies re Tenkara. I kinda knew that the Tenkara system would be far superior but I just didn't know why. Now I do understand. So now I must choose the Tenkara model that best suits my needs. Mostly I will use the Tenkara rod in mountain lakes and rivers here in Ireland but will most likley take it alon to other European countries and the U.S. So I guess the most versatile rod woudl be best. Any suggestions? I will study the Tenkara web site too. Thanks again, Mike

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

You cut on the "belly" from neck to anus and remove everything not meat (guts, eegs, blood vessels) then cut off the head and tail. Use the gills to keep it from slipping.

Cooking can consist of steaming, frying or grilling. A couple /few minutes on each side for steaming (depending on fish size) is enough. Frying makes more smell and is messier to clean up. Grilling with foil (make a reflector oven) or over a "real grill" is the tastiest.

No matter how you cook, hold the fish open flat while cooking as it makes bone removal easy.

Here's a video link–it's a bit different from the way I do it and works better on larger fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrsgSYAvYPo

Gregory Topf
    BPL Member

@notoriousgrt

Locale: PNW / Switzerland

I went down Youngs Creek and the South Fork of the Flathead in the Bob in an Alpacka during the second week in August with a Tenkara Kamame either in hand or strapped to my pack.

I can basically validate all of the findings in this review.

Regarding the main drawback, success was had in landing 15" to 20" fish when it was possible to follow the fish on the upper river – the stretchiness of the line and flexibility of the rod also really help to prevent breakoffs. On the lower river where larger fish have the liberty to bolt in a single direction or get broadside to a strong current, there is not much one can do except say goodbye to your fly and be thankful that you are out there.

For the casting distances that are doable with a Tenkara rod, you can get any fly where it needs to be, and stealthily at that. In fact, the stealth factor needed for close up casting is part of what made it fun, in addition to the pure functionality of the setup.

I took a spey rod onto the Deschutes in Oregon for Steelhead two weeks later. That was definitely the other end of the spectrum.

I heart my Tenkara Kamame.

Larry Tullis
    BPL Member

@larrytullis

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

I've been using my Yamame, which was recommended as the best model for larger fish, for several months now and can say that it is both fun and effective. I usually use it setup for nymphing. It extends my reach to get good drifts over current tongues. It has landed trout to 21 inches with no problem. It's the system I grab when I just have a short time to fish. The downsides are, limited casting distance, no drag for playing larger fish, more tangles when nymphing, not good for high mountain lakes unless you can find some fish congregated close to shore as they often are at inlet and outlets. If you accept these limitations and choose the water that matches the strengths of the rod, then this is an excellent fish catching system.

George Isiminger

@gisiminger

Locale: Southeast

Ryan,

Didn't I see somewhere where you commented that you were working with Tenkara to design a rod with specific features just for backpacking? If so, what special features would it have and when would you expect it to be available?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

From Ryan last night:

The BPL Tenkara rod specs: 9'10" length, 7:3 ratio, and get this! 2.7 oz and a 16" collapsed length!

J W

@swimmer1200

The rod shrinks on the go so you're not whacking the opposite bank of small streams or getting tangled in the overhang. This is an American rod written up in backpacker, paddler, etc. for being the best small water rod around. Check it out!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Ian,
    I've fished with convention fly gear for years. Tenkara simplifies flyfishing to the extreme. you wont have to learn how to strip line, loop line in your hands, shoot line when casting, reel line properly, palm the spool, not to mention how to attach the four different lines that are used in single conventional fly rig! Tenkara is the same as what i do whenever i teach my kids to cast, i tie the line onto the tip so they dont have to deal with all these other complications. Sounds perfect for beginners. I cant wait to try one of these rods.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools