Topic

Light Fixed Blade? Any knife knuts here?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light Fixed Blade? Any knife knuts here?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Boker Ti Mariner
    2.8oz, serated and double edged, all titanium, skeletonized handle, 4″blade, 4″ handle, used by hardcore spec opps dudes and dudettes the world over. Also…Non magnetic Titanium won’t set off mines during ground probing. Balanced for throwing too!

Now that we have moved in to the “Real Knife” zone…Gonna’ need a window on the bivy sack to make split second well informed night time decisions…

***Black bear, brown bear, nut case smelly thru-hiker, hiking partner after a “bad” day, etc. -Play dead, stay in the bivy.

***Polar bear, rabid marmot, BKP (bowie knife psycho), anyone naked and singing in latin, etc. -Thrust that Boker through the bivy to simutaneously stun/kill attacker and create a gaping emergency exit slash in the bivy.

Good luck.

Pierre Dumay

@peyofrance

Hi guys

I shape my fixe blade in a titanium spoon. It’s a great piece of gear for less 0.5 oz

pictures: http://www.randonner-leger.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=960

It’s not a “real fixed blade” but it works well for me

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

“I shape my fixe blade in a titanium spoon…http://www.randonner-leger.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=960”

Ok, now that looks like a potential accident!

John Drollette

@tradja

Locale: Central Oregon

Thanks all for the great suggestions and discussion. Keep it coming! Yep, I’m tempted to just go with a Benchmade Mini-Grip or Mini Pika. The Becker Necker, COld Steel options, and Mora also merit further research (I’ve got a Mora from way back that I love).

Chris Harvey

@cch

You might also check out some of the smaller models from Bark River. Very nice stuff and excellent steel.

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/professional/mikrocanadian-black.html

Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon

I have my eyes on the ESEE Izula for a fixed blade knife to carry while backpacking. It's very similar to the Becker Necker, with knife forums all over the internet full of threads comparing the two. The Izula seems to be the favored knife for the comfort of its handle and the blade's design.

I borrowed an Izula to carry on my last backpacking trip and loved it. I carry my first aid pouch on a lanyard around my kneck (I liked this suggestion in on of the articles on first aid articles here on BPL) in case I were ever separated from my pack. The knife hung on the lanyard with my first aid pouch. Super convenient to access and the 2 oz weight without sheath is decent. I couldn't find a weight on the sheath anywhere, but it seems to be somewhere around a half ounce… probably 2.5 oz total weight.

scott hummel

@snowquest

The buck hartsook is a pretty cool knife. I picked one up recently, it is super light but smaller than I expected.

Nice as a backup, but if your looking for something to use in a survival situation, you would probably want a little more blade.

I also own a benchmade minigrip, and becker necker. Both great knives.

This is something to check out too, Becker Remora

Becker Remora
    http://www.knivesplus.com/beckerknifebkt-13.html

Kevin Kerstens
    BPL Member

@kjkerstens

Locale: BC Canada

The few times I felt I really needed a knife, which is not too often, it has been to start a fire in really wet conditions. Everyone is cold and wet and you need to make a decent amount of kindling in a short period of time. The Mora is strong and sharp enough that you can baton serious size wood down to kindling or cut wet wood to get to the dry stuff beneath in short order. At only 3 oz and 20$ I think this knife is hard to beat, especially if weight/performance and cost are your driving factors.

The only problem(s) I find with the Mora are the cheap looking plastic handle and sheath. The knife certainly lacks the wow factor that a Fallkniven F1 or SOG have.

Good luck in your hunt, 2 oz or less is pretty steep criteria.

Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon
    Kevin Harper

@hike500

Locale: Southwest

Mora Original Classic #2/0, with a 3" Full Tang blade and Sheath. Not a bad knife, came unfinished and I stained it myself. Birch handle is not the best wood to hold stain but I kind of like the uneven appearance.With the sheath it weighs 1.8 oz.
    Mora

chad patzer

@thexuprising

Hey Kevin. That mora looks beautiful. I was wondering how you stained it? Just sand then stain? Maybe a clear coat. I've read that a lot of people use oils of some sort and that gives it a stained effect, seems like the price could add up and take away from the low cost of a mora.

Was that the unfinished one? All the unfinished #1/0 I've found have been around $30, that seems odd since the pre-stained ones with the red are only $10. Do you know if any place sells the non stained ones for less $11?

Ole Saether
    BPL Member

@osaether

Locale: Norway

+1 for the simple Mora knives. I often use the new synthetic-handled type as seen on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife

Don Morris

@hikermor

See if you can find a CRKT Stiff Kiss if you want a fixed blade. I hiked for years with a SAK, using the screwdriver, etc. about as often as the knife blade. I agree about the utility of pliers (jammed locking biners, etc), so I usually carry a multitool these days. My experience has been that a big, heavy fixed blade is overkill and unnecessary weight.

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

My vote goes for a bravo necker 2. Enough handle to keep a good grip, good steel, great knives.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools