Topic

3 Season Gear List – North East

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 Season Gear List – North East

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Morning,

I have been looking to cut down on some weight in my pack wthout spending some big $$$$$. I should note that I like using an enclosed shelter and have tried tarps in the past, but I am not crazy about them. This is a 3 season list for the Mid Atlantic region where I do most of my backpacking (mostly 2-3 day trips). Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Item Brand/Model – Total base weight is right around 13 pounds.

Packing –
    Backpack ULA Circuit
    Pack Liner: trash compactor bag
    Golite Poncho/Tarp as packcover

Shelter –
    TT Contrail
    4 Easton 6" Nail stakes
    2 Ti Skewer Stakes for additional guy lines
    Groundsheet

Sleeping –
    WM Megalite Regular
    BA Clearview
    BPL Dual Chamber pillow

Kitchen –
    Caldera Cone (complete with caddy and stove) for BPL/TT 550
    LMF Spork
    Container w/alchohol + medicine measuring cup
    Mini Bic
    2×2 silicone square (potholder)
    10oz Baby Bottle Liner to measure water (2g)

Packed Clothes –
    Montbell Thermawrap
    Extra Socks (1 pair)
    Extra Ex-officio boxers (1 pair)
    Patagonia Capilene 3 long sleeve
    Patagonia R1 pants
    Rain Jacket Golite Poncho Tarp
    Rain Pants MLD Cuben Chaps
    Wind Jacket Montane Lightspeed
    MH Powerstretch Gloves
    MH Fleece Hat

Hydration –
    (2)Water Bladder Platypus 1L (pop tops)
    Aquamira Tabs (amount varies)

Other –

Emergency Survival Kit(in ziplock): LMF Scout, mirror, whistle, emergency blanket, zip ties, duct tape, Aquamira tabs, firestarter(dryer lint)

First Aid Kit(in ziplock): nitrile gloves, bandaids (various sizes), pepto bismal tabs, tylenol (reg + 600mg), tweezers, moleskin, gauze, med tape, steri strips w/benzoin, antihistamines, extra ziplock for disposal, Burn pad, triple antipiotic cream,

Toiletries (in ziplock): TP(not leaving w/o it), hand sanitizer, toothbrush and toothpaste, sun block(repackaged), bug spray, body glide(repackaged, Dr. Bronners(repackaged), Pack Towel

Sea to summit air tight waterproof stuff sack for First aid kit, toiletries and emergency kit (total of all inc. stuff sack 15oz)

REI CF trekking poles (11 oz for pair)

Petzl e+LITE

Photon X-Light

Knife (Varies – Rat Izula, Leatherman Mini, etc… I cant make up my mind and stick with the same one for each trip)

Silva mini compass w/thermometer

Montbell Handy Scoop

TAR Sit Pad

50' spectra line

2 – Nite Eyes Figure 9s

Stuff sack for food (another Sea to Summit and doubles as hang bag)

Deck of cards

Paperback

Pad/Pen

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I do most of my backpacking in PA on 2-3 day trips and your list looks eerily similar to mine so I'm not sure how much you'll be able to trim. For me to get below the 10-pound mark (which I'm assuming is what you desire because a 13-pound baseweight isn't bad at all) here's what I had to do:

– Switched to the BPL UL60 quilt (long – 13 ounces)
    – Changed pack to the GG Murmur (8 ounces)
    – GG Nightlight torso-length pad (3 ounces)
    SMD Gatewood Cape as my raingear and shelter (13 ounces)

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

That GoLite Poncho/Tarp is awful heavy for something only being used as a Poncho. Just a thought. Emergency Ponchos are usually less than 2 ounces and there are plenty Ponchos much lighter than this.

Extra pair of underwear would only be useful for 2-3 day trips if you came a across a giant bear that stood right in front of you. Then you might need them.

Also a drysack for first aid and toiletries seems excessive when you can use a big ziploc (or since they're already in ziplocs just shove them in the compactor bag.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Kevin – I am not sure if I want to drop below the ten pound mark or if I am just looking to tweek my list since I am comfortable where I am. If money wasnt an issue I would probably take you up on a few of your suggestions though.

BTW – Where in PA do you hike?

Gary – The Golite is only 10oz and does triple duty as a temporary shelter (for lunches, etc…), pack cover and as my raingear. The MLD sil and cuben poncho/tarps are lighter, but I already have the Golite (paid $35) and spending $150+ to save an ounce or two is not worth it IMO.

You are right about the drysack for the first aid, emergency kit and toiletries so I will look into just tossing them in.

As for the boxers, there are bears around here….

Thanks for the suggestions, keep then coming!

Edit: sp

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

"The Golite is only 10oz and does triple duty as a temporary shelter (for lunches, etc…), pack cover and as my raingear. The MLD sil and cuben poncho/tarps are lighter, but I already have the Golite (paid $35) and spending $150+ to save an ounce or two is not worth it IMO. "

What about a Driducks jacket? Lighter and cheap – even with the included pants. Pack liner (trash bag) works in most conditions.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I have a couple of favorite trails in PA – all of them right around 30 miles:

– West Rim Trail (Near Wellsboro – point-to-point hike but there's a shuttle service right at the northern trailhead)
    – Old Loggers Path (Loop hike north of Williamsport)
    – Allegheny Front Trail (Loop hike outside State College)

Of the three, I'd have to say that the Allegheny Front Trail (AFT) is my favorite. You have a lot of variety and it's just a fun trail to hike. I did the East loop with a couple of friends this past Spring and it was great.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>Patagonia Capilene 3 long sleeve
    >>Patagonia R1 pants

For typical 3 season use in the Northeast (MA/VT/NH), I think these might be too warm, and may end up not being used.

I've found Capilene 1 pants, and a zippered microweight wool top to be very versatile. I can layer the wool top over a wool t-shirt, and wear the Capilene 1 pants under wind pants if it is cold.

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Hey Nate. Nice list. Here are a couple thoughts.

Ever think about getting a relatively cheap (or used) lighter pack for these kind of trips? The circuit is probably a little more pack than you need. I used a GG Nimbus Ozone exclusively for years but after lightening up I picked up a used GG Virga for 2-3 day trips in the NE. Took me a trip or two to get used to but now I love saving two pounds before starting to pack. If you're in love with your Circuit, I totally understand.

Since you seem to be a full tenter, I'm assuming your Contrail has a floor. You could probably leave the groundsheet at home if it does. I've had my Squall out for around a hundred nights on the east coast without a groundsheet and have only had one small hole, and that was from a hungry mouse.

What exactly is that 2×2 piece of silicone that you use as a potholder? How's your experience been with it? I've been using heavy duty finger cots with my Caldera but they are a little clumsy and I'm looking for an upgrade before I scorch a finger or lose a meal.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Kevin – thanks for the suggestions. I live in NJ and did OLP a few months ago (a very wet but great trip!). I was thinking about the West Rim Trail for next year, but who knows what will come up between then and now. The Allegheny Front Trail looks very interesting. Have you done the whole circuit? It looks like it would be a solid 3 or 4 day trip.

John – Good suggestions. I usually leave the pants at home if I am out during the summer, but the shirt stays as a backup shirt or insulating layer should he weather change. I also drop the Montbell for the summer too.

Brad – Another good idea. I have been kicking the idea of buying a used pack around for the past few months. I might look to pick up a 2008 Conduit for the lighter trips.
    I usually take the groundsheet if rain is forcast. This way I can pack the muddy groundsheet away from the contrail.
    As for the silicone square, it works well enough for me. I picked up a silicone pot holder at the dollar store and just cut it up. It is not the most elegant solution, but it gets the job done.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Nate,

The other thing on your gear list that intrigued me is your use of a baby bottle liner for measuring water. How does that work for you?

Since giving up my graduated Nalgene I've been "guesstimating" my water for meals. That works well for soup and hot chocolate, but has occasionally left my beef stroganoff a little runny.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I haven't done the full circut – just the East loop. The full loop is around 42 miles but, by cutting through the center of the loop, it can be broken down into two 30 mile loops (East & West).

I picked the East loop because it seemed to have more vistas. The other thing that was so nice about this trail (especially hiking it in the off season) is that you can adjust the starting point of the loop and spend the first night in the Black Moshannon State Park campground (hot showers & flush toilets). That also allows you to legally have a fire (if that's a requirement) during the PA fire ban (from October 1 – December 1 and from March 1 – May 25).

I'd like to do the West loop sometime soon – it also passes through the campground (only the full 42 miles doesn't).

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Kevin – It works pretty well. The liners are graduated and have 2,4,6,8 and 10 oz marked off on them. The plastic is also durable enough to withstand being taken out on a few trips, and at only a couple of grams it is woth taking along.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools