Topic

buying a new backpacking camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography buying a new backpacking camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Willem Jongman

@willem

I just bought a Panasonic GH1 micro four thirds camera with 14-140 mm (28-280 35 mm equivalent) to replace my shelf full of heavy analogue Nikons and Nikkors. It weighs about half of one of my old bodies plus a 35 and 85 mm lens. I think the micro four thirds standard is the best way forward for lighter high quality camera's. That said, it is still not a light system, far from it.
    The heaviest and bulkiest part is this long zoom lens. A 14-45 mm zoom is quite a bit lighter and smaller, and would be enough in many situations. I am holding out here until Leica will market a micro four thirds version of their four thirds zoom in this focal range.
    This is of course the biggest of the new micro four thirds camera's, but is has the eye level electronic viewfinder that for me was the reason to finally jump into the digital world. Indeed the two smaller Olympus and Panasonic camera's only have a large lcd, and I still feel that these are unsuitable for serious photography. If I had my way, I would indeed prefer a smaller and lighter camera without the lcd, and only the EVF. A kind of Leica CL. As with that Leica CL the new 20 and 45 mm primes make a perfect combination for those who need the best image quality. The currently lightest combination would be with the Olympus 14-42 zoom (150 gram, but without image stabilization).

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I'd love a GH1 but it is $$$$$$$$!

Willem Jongman

@willem

Indeed. My wife needed the video option, but the ordinary G1 is not only *much* cheaper, but the 14-45 mm lens is also rather lighter and more compact.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I was just looking at the new Panasonic DMC-FT1 , has anyone checked them out as yet?

Cheers
    Mark

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

As promised, I posted some shots taken with my new camera…..just not right here. There are roughly 20 shots in the trip reports section under "Superior Hiking Trail September Thru-hike (and some MYOG stuff)" Hopefully this link will take you there:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=24441&skip_to_post=198883#198883

My initial assessment is that I took plenty of average pictures but also some that i'm very very pleased with. I'm certainly not an expert, and i just replaced a 3.2 megapixel olympus stylus that i'd been abusing for about 6 or 7 years with this fujifilm. Interestingly, photos taken at the end of the trip were better than those at the beginning, probably because i became more familiar with settings/options etc. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase and I expect to become more and more proficient with my new camera.

Matt

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools