Topic

3- Season Wonderland and Superior Hiking trail gear list help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3- Season Wonderland and Superior Hiking trail gear list help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

Thanks, I’ll talk to the Assoc (I signed up for a membership 2+ months ago). If you happen to remember any more details about the article (date it ran, names, etc) I’d appreciate it, it might help them find it for me.

-adam

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Ahhh….that does sound tempting, and September is my favorite month of the year….

What kind of a temperature range do you usually experience there throughout late September/early October? Thanks Jim

Dave:)

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

This will be my last question Jim….really….

I’ve been using Aqua Mira for water treatment, and am considering selling my water filter. But, I’ve read about Isle Royale’s problem with tapeworm, and was wondering whether northern Minnesota is similar. What kind of water treatment have you been using in the area? Thank you,

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Sep-Oct temp ranges … personal experience of about 6 Sep/Oct days per year on the SHT over the past 5 years, about half of those in the 3rd Oct week, most of the others approx Oct 1 … Highest temp was maybe 80 (mid Sep and not actually measured), Lowest temps were mid 20’s (measured). Lowest mid day temps were low 40’s (also measured). About half the days were rain free. Minor amount of snow on 1 or 2 days. Try this place for detailed weather, click on “set location”, point/click a spot on the map and click “return”, fill in the date range and select all the data sources and click “get daily”

Water: I’ve never heard/read concerns of tapeworm in MN north of Lake Superior (but Isle Royale, yes!). I use Potable Aqua iodine pills and their vitamin C neutralizer pills on the SHT. Have been considering trying Aqua Mira but it’s hard to give up the convenience of pills.

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

Sounds wonderful Jim….although those lows in the mid 20’s do sound intimidating….I wonder if my 40 degree quilt, Micropuff pullover, and balaclava would be sufficient? I may have to do some testing with temps in the 20’s before spring comes!

I’ve begun using Aqua Mira, and have found a solution to make up for its lack of conveinence (as compared to Iodine tablets). REI sells small ‘salt and pepper’ shaker containers that are perfect for holding small amounts of anything….and in this case, Aqua Mira while mixing. This way you can just fill up your water bottle, put a few drops into the REI container, close it up, stick it in your pocket, and a short while down the trail….the water and solution are ready to mix together for drinking.

Thanks Jim,

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools