Topic

Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash Jacket Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash Jacket Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have used the WM Down Vest(XL-7oz) for years with alot of success…But I think it is time time upgrade and I will put the Hooded Flash jacket on my MUST have list for the upcoming Fall and Winter season….. Thanks for the review Will!!!
    -Jay

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have this jacket and I'm looking forward to trips this fall when the temperatures will warrant taking it along. It looks great in the gear closet. :)

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Thanks Will, great review.

I'd be interested in how the jacket fits compared to the Montbell inner jackets… is is longer and slimmer, or pretty much the same? I find my Montbell jacket to be an ok fit, but I would prefer a tighter fit around the torso and a bit more length.

Also, I guess the flash jacket would be not as warm as the Montbell Alpine Light, but somewhere in between that and the down inner?

Thanks again, Ashley.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice Jacket, I just don't know where I'm going to get $260 from. Time to break the the piggy bank.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Any thoughts on how the flash might compare to the slightly heavier Flight jacket which I own. I have found that the Flight can be worn as the Flash can be worn down into the 20s easily. With my Patagonia dragonfly wind jacket over it and a 200g merino wool crew under it, I am usually warm into the low 20s when inactive.

jonathan hauptman

@6hauptman6

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.

The only advantages that I can see over something like the skaha plus down sweater(pocket version) are the full zipper, elastic and hand pockets. The skaha has fully baffled construction and can be gotten in epic fabric. If you could get them to make a custom skaha plus down sweater(pocket version)with full zip, elastic cuffs/waist it would probably only weigh around 11 ounces. The fully baffled construction and extra ounce of down fill would make for a considerably warmer jacket and the epic fabric would mean far better weather protection. All this would come at a minimum weight increase of about 2 ounces. I only mention this, because this review got me fantasizing about my perfect down jacket for spring,fall, and winter(aka-the real 3 seasons)use in the lower 48.
    p.s., the only downside, price related heart attack$$$$$$^-^-^-^^^^^^^^^^^

Bill Poett

@wpoettaol-com

Locale: Santa Barbara

Anybody know a good online source for this Jacket, I have annanversary comming up and I just might have earned it ;0)

Thanks

Bill

Michael Heeley
    BPL Member

@mheeley

Bent Gate mountaineering carries them and last time I was in the store (couple of weeks ago) they had a full selection.

http://www.bentgate.com

B. F.

@thrush

*bump it*

As I can't decide whether to buy the Hooded Flash or the Flight Jacket, does someone have both jackets and can compare them? Both jackets look good, but I wonder wich one keeps the wearer warmer. The Hooded Flash is a little bit lighter (arround 1 ounce) but has a hood – and I think maybe with the hood it could be lighter AND even warmer than the Flight Jacket. But, as the Flight Jacket must have a higher loft, I'm not sure about that. Can someone try to compare them? Thanks in advance,

Björn

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bjorn,

The best determination of warmth is the comparable down fill weight. The WM Flight has ~5 ounces of 800+ down and the WM Hooded Flash has ~3 ounces of 800+ down.

Another way to categorize the two garments is that the Flash is in the "Down Sweater" class and the Flight is in the "Down Jacket" class. Down sweaters are generally appropriate for inactive use to ~32F range and down jackets to ~0F range. Obviously a supplementary hat is required, in lieu of a hood, for the respective temperature classes.

The "Winter Parkas" class averages about 9 ounces of 800+ fill (-30F range) and "Expedition Parkas" class averages about 16 ounces of 800+ fill (-60F range).

B. F.

@thrush

Thank you, this helps. I read much about them but didn't realized that the fill weight is that much different. I will now just have to think about wich temperature range I want to cover.

Björn

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have the Hooded Flash but I am familiar with the Flight also, and would agree with Richard .
    The hood (INMH) seems to warm up the head almost instantly, quicker than putting a hat on, but overall the Flight is a lot puffier.
    Note also there are also about twice as many chambers on the HF, resulting in more "cold spots".
    Franco

Darin Butler

@darinbu

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Bought one in the Bent Gate store in Golden CO today for $213.99. (They're having a general sale.) The regular price of $260 is what shows on their website (and everyone else's). I heard that Western Mountaineering doesn't let its retailers advertise a sale on their products. Of course, there's nothing preventing ME from spreading the word! I have no idea whether they'll honor this sale price for phone sales, but it's worth a phone call. Good deal on a great jacket. They had roughly 20 of them on the rack in various sizes and colors; don't know if they had more in the back.

I bought a Large which I weighed at 296 grams (10.44 oz). I'm 6'2" and 180 lbs and it fits me well. I found that it fit me better than does the 2009 MontBell UL Down Inner Parka, which is also a great jacket, but whose Large is too small and whose XL is a bit too big for me. Also, the Flash has more down and feels more substantial (especially in its AMAZING handwarmer pockets) despite little or no difference in weight. However, the 2009 Montbell does have a very nice adjustable hem and hood and comes with a stuff sack, all of which the Flash lacks, and is cheaper besides. If you're in the market you should definitely try them both on, as their differences are large enough to make personal preference meaningful.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I found the Flash zipper split on me several times.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I love this Jacket. I also have Montbell Ul Inner Parka and Mountain Hardwear Phantom, but the Alpine is the most versatile for me. Can barely feel it, very warm…

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Do you have the parka or the jacket?

I have decided this will be my next piece of gear, but I can't decide if I should go for the hood or not. If not I would probably get a balaclava from down works. Any suggestions?

Currently I don't use quilts, although it is something I am wanting to experiment with.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools