Topic

Lose weight now by joining BPL – Ask me how!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lose weight now by joining BPL – Ask me how!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

Since joining BPL a few days ago I have just shaved off 6 lbs. 4 oz. from my overall pack weight. And that doesn’t yet include some more items I’ve ordered from BPL.

Here’s how I did it. You can do it too! ;-)

Tarptent Rainbow for solo hikes in place of a Black Diamond Lighthouse: 27 oz less. This doesn’t even include the Lighthouse Vestibule which is another 16 oz.

Montbell UL Superhugger #3 in place of a Big Agnes Lost Ranger: 23 oz less

REI 45 UL (The large is actually 50L) in place of a Osprey Aether 75 and a separate REI UL Flash Daypack: 46 oz less

I can’t wait to try out all the new equipment and see how much further I can go with it.

Thanks to all for the help in making my choices.

-jeff

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I hear ya boss and you didn’t even include your new super ultra light wallet, just like mine.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Larry, a “double entendre”. very cute. good one.

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

And no doubt my wallet will continue to get lighter as my pack gets lighter.

Now I’m checking out the Brasslite stoves. When will I ever find an inexpensive hobby?

-jeff

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Jeff, forget about the Brasslite stoves. Check out John Austin’s (aka Tinny) website ==> MiniBullDesigns

Mr. Austin is the undisputed heavyweight camp of alcohol stoves creators/maufacturers.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Now I’m checking out the Brasslite stoves. When will I ever find an inexpensive hobby?

Definitely first try making your own alcohol stove. I’m sure Brasslites are nice, but you can make your own from an empty soda can, beer can or cat food can. It’s easy. Check out the SuperCat for a simple example.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

You don’t have to have the base, and you can make the holes with a single-hole paper punch instead of an ice pick. Easy.

There are a bunch of stoves here.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Pick any of them. My favorite is the generic Pepsi can Open-Jet stove (easy to light, hard to blow out), but there are other good designs too.

Jeff Black

@thehikingdude

Thanks for the info. I suppose it does make sense to just make my own to find out if I even like the concept enough to replace my Brunton Crux for shorter trips.

-jeff

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I would also recommend a look at the vargo triad ti stove in addition to make-your-own or minibull designs stoves.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools