Topic

ThinLight Insulation Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ThinLight Insulation Pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

RE: Gossamer Gear ThinLight Insulation Pad: If I’m in a shelter, I might think about this option simply for pack support and ground sheet in the shelter.

Does anybody use this as their only pad and is it strong enough, if rolled up, to support a pack like a Virga with 18 or so pounds?

Thanks.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

It ain’t much of a pad. No real rigidity to it at all for pack frame support. I would use it as a back “pad” for SUL overnight loads when rigidity of the pack is not as important. You would have to be a very easy sleeper to be able to be comfortable on this pad, especially on shelter floors. I could see it better suited to forest floors with heavy duff. I have the NiteLite too. Great pad. Best closed-cell out there, bar none.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Is this based on the 1/8″ pad or the 3/8″ version? Thanks for your insight.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

1/8″. I’d say the 3/8″ would be quite a bit better. Hold on, I’ll fold mine triple and let you know.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

Not bad. Probably would work. You wouldn’t have the “dimples” of the Nitelite, which add significant comfort to me, but if your a half-way decent sleeper, you could pull it off.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Thanks!

Hmmm …

Nightlight 3/4 length is 7.5 oz, but 3/4″ thick

Whereas …

ThinLight 3/8″ thick (same length as nightlight) is ~5.5 oz.

Have to think about the comfort balance here a bit.

Serge Giachetti
    BPL Member

@giachett

Locale: boulder, co

I have the 1/8″ and 3/8″ ThinLight pad. As has been mentioned the 1/8″ pad won’t do much as a frame, but the 3/8″ should work just fine. I find the 3/8″ pad to be just comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep on. When using the 1/8″ ThinLight I also bring my torso length NightLight (the one that folds into three sections) and this setup has worked great for me.

Take care!

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

Remember Mike, the NiteLite is a long 3/4’s length. Fifty some inches. Cut down the the industry standard 47″, it comes in at 5.5 oz. Just a thought.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools