Topic

GNP gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists GNP gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    John Ben

@aristotle_man

Ok heres my gear list:

marmot hydrogen – 28 oz
    deuter 42L pack – 61 oz
    TT DR/stuff sack- 32 oz
    tent poles – 8.1 oz
    tent stakes – 2.1 oz
    neo air – 12.9 oz

total – 147.5 = 9.2 lbs

lightrek 4 poles- 7 oz
    knife – 0.9 oz
    BD spot light – 3.1 oz
    ultrathon bug – 2.4 oz
    8-24x binocs – 13.8 oz
    camera – 8 oz
    camera case – 3.2 oz
    coglans shovel – 1.8 oz
    steripen – 4.1 oz
    toilet paper – 0.8 oz
    toothbrush – 0.1 oz
    toilet stuffsac – 0.1 oz
    hand sanitizer – 0.5 oz
    sunscreen – 1 oz

total – 40.2 = 2.5 lbs

med kit – 2.4 oz
    compass – 0.9 oz
    map – 1.1 oz
    clock/light – 0.2 oz

total – 4.6 = 0.28 lbs

cap 1 shirt – 4.9 oz
    nike shirt – 4.2 oz
    cap 2 long sleeve – 5.8 oz
    rain shield – 4.9 oz
    wright socks – 1.1 oz (2)
    sun hat – 4 oz
    mosquito net – 1 oz
    long johns – 2.5 oz
    fleece hat – 0.8 oz
    gloves – 1.4 oz
    hankercheif – 0.8 oz
    platy 1L – 0.8 oz (2)

total – 33.3 = 2 lbs

Caldera Cone – 1 oz
    Fosters Can – 0.88 oz
    Lid – 0.2 oz
    G Cracker Stand – 0.1 oz
    Small BeerBand – 0.2 oz
    Large BeerBand – 0.3 oz
    Stuff Sac – 0.01 oz
    Cozy – 0.2 oz
    Caldera Caddy – 2.6 oz
    Esbit fuel – 0.5 oz (x18)
    mini bic lighter- 0.4 oz
    ti spoon – 0.5 oz
    nylon cord (50ft) – 4oz

total – 15.38 = 1 lb

possible luxuries:

mini playing cards – 1.5 oz
    mini sharpee – 0.2 oz
    camp stool – 18 oz
    camera tripod – 1.6 oz

total – 21.3 = 1.33 lbs

cumulative base total – 240.98 = 15 lbs
    with food for 6 days – 361.98 = 22.6 lbs
    with 2 L of water = 26.6 lbs
    with luxuries = 30 lbs

See any place I can shave off weight besides my pack (its the only one so far thats comfortable for me) Also I will probably carry a can of bear spray with me so that will add even more weight.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

your biggest area to not only "shave" but "cut" pounds is your pack, bag and tent. Along with the pad I would try to at least get it under 6 lbs for the four. You are breaking down your list to hundredths of an ounce but you could cut two pounds alone on the pack. A GoLite Jam, for example, would still give you most of the comfort of your Deuter at two pounds less. The benefits of a lighter pack will, over the course of miles, far outweigh the benefits of a more comfortable pack. You could drop another 1/2 pound (at least) on the bag. Let someone else carry the poles and stakes for the DR assuming you need a two person tent. If not that is a whole other story.

I would also cut weight in your clothing, binocs, esbit, campstool (luxury but wouldn't even consider it) and some others. Focus on cutting the pounds first and then work your way down. It doesn't really make sense to carry a .88 ounce fosters can with a 4 lb. pack. It isn't consistent. You are shaving an ounce off by carrying a medium neoair compared to the regular at 14 oz. but giving up so much in other places. It isn't consistent. That is an ounce that I would add personally because the benefits of a full length pad is worth it (especially when it is only an additional 1 oz.) in getting a better nights sleep. Once your pack is consistent throughout then decide what's most important and add the ounces there and look to take away the ounces from things that are not as important.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Be sure to protect your food from ground squirrels and whistling marmots.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

On the Deuter pack, if it is comfortable, keep it. I wear a Deuter that at 3 lbs some might consider "heavy" but due to an old back injury is one of the few I can wear without lower pain. So cutting weight there is NOT always the best choice! I can say this….wearing an ill fitting pack does NOT get better with a lighter load of say 1 to 5 lbs. The real difference is say a 7 lb pack to a 3 lb pack and cutting your gear weight in half.
    Go Lite packs are just awful if you have lower back injuries!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

So it's Glacier Park? When? If it's Sepember, the mosquitoes and flies are probably not an issue. So the bug net likely won't be needed. Also, it can easily get down to freezing from late August on, so maybe the Hydrogen is a decent choice. Most campsites in GNP have a log to sit on at the food prep area, so if that's why you're thinking of a stool, ditch it. I think all campsites have some sort of outhouse/pit toilet, so the trowel won't be needed (unless you're stealth camping, like in the Nyack area). The binoculars are certainly heavy, but they offer good wildlife viewing which can add some cheap entertainment if you're hiking solo. As others have mentioned, you can save .5-2.0# with a different pack. Think Osprey Atmos 50, an Exos, or the GoLite Jam. You can save a pound with a different Tarp Tent (Contrail). I'm assuming you're hiking solo. If you are sharing the load with a partner, this changes things. Don't forget to take a bear-bag system, as mentioned. I'm curious as to what route you will be taking for those 6 days.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

Ive tried the golite jam but dont remember if I had problems with it. I will go check it out again today.

What sleeping bag do you recommend that is lighter than the marmot? Some sort of quilt? Anything that is $300 or less?

Where would you cut weight in my clothing? I do have an extra shirt for sleeping in but they are all really light.

Binocs Im debating because I have a 12x zoom camera.

I thought my esbit was as light as it gets? How would you shave weight off the gram cracker system?

My neoair length is nice because I roll around alot and like that my feet stick over the edge so they have room to extend if im sleeping on my face.

The pack is definitely something I would like to shave some weight off of. But Ive tried on a ton of brand new packs and the only ones that dont poke me, sit poorly, or rub me are the deuters and the gregory's. The 65L deuter is actually lighter than the 42 for some reason by a couple ounces but it isnt perfectly comfy like the 42.

Good suggestions … thanks!

John Ben

@aristotle_man

How do I do this? Wont they be protected if I put them high on a pole? Do I need odor proof bags? Should I buy a bear resistant bag?

John Ben

@aristotle_man

It will be Glacier park from the 12-20. Do you think I will still need the bug net? The stool id like to bring because I recently got an inflamed tendon by my right knee and figured it would be very nice to take a load off it every once in a while when my friends stop for water and pictures.

We arent going to do any of the nyack/coal loop but was told by the ranger to bring a trowel. Do I not need it? The binocs I figured they were heavy, but would allow me to take in the mountain views better but I dont need them really.

Ive tried the osprey's and they feel great except for the shoulder harness at the top digs into my upper spine area. That would get annoying really fast. I will definitely try the golite jam though.

Which bear bag do you recommend?

Those 6 days we will be taking the dawson/pitamakan hike, going to the sun road with side trails, siyeh pass, and hopefully either the boulder pass hike or 51 mountain trail. We might do some rafting for half a day or something too if we can fit it in.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Don't carry any other than a silnylon bag for your food–I think the above post about squirrels and marmots was a joke. And with the food hanging poles at the campsites, nothing will get your food. There are plenty of places to sit at the Glacier camps–keep your knee happy and don't bring a stool.

I've only been in Glacier in June, so I don't know about the bugs this time of year, so maybe just a 1 ounce headnet is all you will need?

I might have missed it, but do you wear underwear or shorts/pants? I only saw long johns.

Ditch or reconsider:
    –trowel or shovel (just use your heel to kick cat holes)
    –sleep in the shirt you hike in to reduce redundancy
    –the nylon cord shouldn't be necessary with the provided food poles, unless you carry it as part of a repair kit. I always carry spectra cord as it weighs 1 oz for 50 ft
    –sharpie? for journaling?
    –unless you are doing time lapse photography, ditch the tripod

Are you sharing a shelter with someone? If not, 2.5 lbs of shelter is quite a bit. As for the pack, that is sticking out like a sore thumb. Unless you have chronic injuries as an above poster mentioned, there are so many options out there that are pounds lighter. Gossamer Gear, ULA, Golite, etc. My modified Jam weighs 16 oz and 30 pounds feels fine in it–plus it's 9 liters bigger than your Deuter.

Have fun. Pitamakin pass is beautiful. Good luck developing your 'HEY BEAR!' turrets syndrome.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

I wear some convertable synthetic pants from columbia. I figured thats all I would need. If it gets too cold, ill just set up camp.

Dont holes need to be at least 6 inches deep? That sounds like a lot of work for my poor leg.

Im debating that extra shirt. It would be nice to hike in a clean shirt after two days or use it to sleep in so I dont get my marmot all stinky.

So their poles actually have rope attached to them? I dont need my nylon rope? Where do you buy the spectra cord?

I actually dont know why I have a sharpie. They just always seem useful and it was small so I bought it. haha

I do plan on taking some night photos so Ill probably keep the tripod.

Have you been on the dawson/pit hike? What are the most difficult parts? Is there much heavy climbing?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

No, bring some strong cord for the bear bag. Most setups involve a log pole horizontally connected to two trees about 12' up. You have to toss the rope over that pole (weight the end of the cord with a rock or big stick, and don't let it bop you in the face when it swings back!). 50' is usually too much, but sometimes necessary. Remember, you'll be sharing that pole with the others camped at that site, and sometimes you need a longer cord to reach the tree where you secure it. By the way, since you are sharing that pole with others, the weak link as far as attracting critters goes is the smelliest bear bag. I've found that the craftiest pests in GNP are the squirrels/chipmunks. They can chew right through regular nylon bags, and I got tired of that. Though not SUL, I now use a WX Tex pneumo roll-top bag. I like the fact that it's waterproof and probably a bit odor proof as well. It's certainly durable, and I've never had a hole chewed into it. The 15 L. bag weighs 5.5 oz., however. Spectra cord is a good idea as well, as I've seen squirrels chew right through cheap paracord.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

The convertble pants should be fine since you have the long johns to sleep in. And I wouldn't worry about wearing only one shirt for just 6 days, however if you are worried about your bag you could change into your L/S base layer for sleeping.

Forget what I said about not needing rope for the bear bagging–I only remember using those poles that had a hook, but I just searched the web for photos (as my memory can be horrible) and I found a photo that contradicts my statement: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1167766309054022617laEBiJ

I think Gossamer Gear sells spectra–it lasts forever as I've been using the same 50' of spectra since 2003 (some 6000 or so trail miles).

I went through Glacier on my CDT hike, so I don't think I went over Dawson (I might be wrong). I dont remember the climbs being all that bad, and with the snow we had in June I'm sure it can only be easier in August.

I was going to tell you to ditch the binoculars, but if you see a griz from a safe distance it could be very nice to watch it for awhile instead of just staring at some dots in the distance.

If you get a chance, East Glacier is a very great little town with surprisingly good Mexican food–the people treat you like friends from the get-go and have some cool grizzly stories (like feeling grizzly breath on their face).

John Ben

@aristotle_man

I've been told to add gaiters to my pack and I just dont think their weight is worth it. I know that GNP is partially rain forest, but does it get so bad that gaiters are needed?

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

not truly necessary, and if it is bad you could use your pants for some protection. If you really want some that are lightweight, check out Dirty Girl gaiters.

edit: Do you have a pack liner or cover?

John Ben

@aristotle_man

I have a pack cover. Although its too big to be used with my new pack.

The deuter comes with a pack cover but it only works if theres nothing attached to the side of the pack which there will be.

I should probably just go the liner route.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If the pack fits you, don't change it out on a whim! If you do get a lighter pack, take it on an overnighter the first time out, not on a bigger trip.

And hey, if you like a stool (since you have leg issues) don't feel guilty. Just cut back elsewhere (no binocs) for example.

Feeling good is better than being the most UL out there. So take the items that work and don't worry if you don't cut everything out. Generally have a trend of going light and you will do well.

Glacier is a very pretty area. BTW, are you carrying pepper spray or not?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

John,

I did a solo trip in Glacier last week (see trip reports section). The cool spring made the snow melt late, so water is everywhere and the wildflowers are off the hook! If you're a serious photographer the tripod might be worth it.

Glacier backcountry sites are super deluxe. All (except Coal/Nyack, as mentioned) have a latrine of some kind and a designated cooking area. The cooking area always (in my experience) have some logs/benches as well as a metal pole with hooks on the top for hanging food bags. Some have a bear locker (a la Sierras). So I'd ditch the trowel for sure, as well as the stool (but perhaps bring a sit pad), and no more than 25' of thin rope.

I would bring a headnet. I brought mine, and was very glad I did. Mosquito season seems to be delayed a bit this year.

I feel comfortable drinking unfiltered snowmelt, and thus had a max capacity of 38 oz of water, and rarely carried more than half that. I never went more than two miles between very nice water sources.

Otherwise your list looks fine. Trail gaiters are nice to have, but not necessary. Big gaiters would be silly. If anything, I might add a slightly heavier fleece vest or shirt. The last pass (Piegan) on my second day I got rained on for the last three hours. The rain moved in as I hiked above 6000', and the temp dropped from 70 to 40 in 10 minutes. I had on all my clothes (including light powerfleece gloves), and was glad I had every piece.

Enjoy your trip!

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

The Jam IMO is a good tradeoff between your Deuter and a hyperlight.

The sleeping bag is really a personal choice based on your body type, sleeping habits, etc. Just my personal opinion but I think the WM Summerlite is the most versatile bag and at 19 oz. for the reg. size it would save you 9 oz. with only one ounce less in fill and two degrees less in temp. rating. A bit over $300 but not much.

I agree to sleep in the shirt you hike in. I personally like the GoLite DriMove LS. Campsaver is having a 50% off sale on them BTW. I have worn the same one for a week straight many times. You could knock a pound off just by eliminating your shirts. You may want to add some sort of fleece top though.

The esbit is not really about the weight as much as it is about the expense and fumes.

I see what you are saying about the neoair. saving five ounces from the small to the regular makes senses but wasn't sure why you were saving one ounce from med. to regular. It would make more sense for them to make a 6 oz. small and make the small the medium (9 oz.) and then a regular at 14 oz. Then again I guess there is a market for the current medium size, you bought one.

I agree with you Deuter makes a really comfortable pack. If they ever come out with a line of UL packs they will probably sell really well because it is a first class product.

John Ben

@aristotle_man

Dave,

If we don't get the walk in hikes we want, do you have some good Glacier hikes to recommend? Should I bring water shoes for crossing rivers?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

John,

I hike in trail runners and don't mind wet feet, so I just plow on through. More a matter of personal preference than anything.

The looong (65 miles) overnight I did last week was an awesome loop, I'd recommend it or a variation to anyone. I started at Logan Pass, hiked out the Highline, up to Stoney Indian Lake, camped, then continued on to the Belly River, over Ptarmigan Pass to Many Glacier, and then over Piegan Pass down to Siyeh Bend. I had planned on taking the shuttle back to Logan, but was behind schedule. I was fortunate enough to get a ride quickly, as it was raining quite steadily at that point.

Stoney Indian is a great camp if you can get it. Fifty Mountain also looked like a tremendous place. My rule in Glacier is to maximize my time hiking above 6000'. You tend to be out of the bush and most of the trees, and thus get better views and so forth.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools