Topic

Alaska Mountain WIlderness Classic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Alaska Mountain WIlderness Classic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

Andrew Skurka came to AK this summer. He teamed up with two PJs and won the Wilderness Classic race.

Meanwhile others out there made this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjpg2L-HbPA

Takes lightweight to another end. Pack weight for the guys in the video minus food was 10 pounds including packraft and paddle for 175 mile mostly off trail route.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

very awesome, thanks for the update Roman. So how long does it take for your feet to recover after something like that?

Also what kind of pack was Forrest using. Looks like a lighened version of the Artic Dry pack?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Roman's feet looked pretty trashed..lol. Good video!

Roman Dial

@romandial

Actually, the prune feet were tender but not crippling. I had two blisters, one on the second toe tip and another between my pinky and adjacent toe, but other than that I was pretty good. I'm ready to go now, less than a week afterword.

Unsure about Forrest who hurt his ankle….

My blog page has another racer's foot that looks pretty nasty…http://packrafting.blogspot.com/

But glad you all enjoyed the vid. It was fun to make. Made it on Saturday/Sunday. We finished on Thursday.

The pack Forrest has was something he picked up at the OR Show in SLC, made by OR, I think. He'd be the best one to comment on it, but it has real promise.

My own pack was an old Cascade Designs pack, similar to the Arctic 1000, but a little lighter/smaller.

My gear list is also at http://packrafting.blogspot.com/

Would love your investigation, comments, critiques of that list.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

The gear list looks pretty solid Roman. Some small places to save weight but would prob only make the sum on the excel sheet look better rather than enhancing performance. Overall considering your performance in the race I would say what you used work pretty darn well!

Only suggestion would be to contact Vibram and see if they could do a surgical implant of some 5Fingers soles on your feet ;)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd agree with Jonathan, the gearlist looks good.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Thanks for looking. I'll check in w/vibram re:feet-to-treads…

I'm in the market for a new anorak/pullover to replace the ole' Patagonia Specter. I got a GoLite jacket, but don't like the clammy white coated fabric — also like a chest pocket on pullover. And pullovers save zipper weight. I need a hood too.

Any ideas?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

I still have but barely use my Specter ever since I moved over my Integral Designs eVent rain jacket. It is not an anorak, but far more breathable and I think the fit is better. But if you are set on a pullover check out the BPL OR dispatch on the new Rab eVent pullover.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/orsm09_tuesday_dispatch.html

Roman Dial

@romandial

Thanks Jon for the suggestions.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

If it's still in the catalogue, the TNF Triumph (the available pocket is below chest level though).

Just slightly heavier but probably a bit less unbreathable, the Haglofs Oz pullover

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Andy is currently writing up a race overview that will appear on BPL next week.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Jonathan,

Here's what Forrest said about his pack: "The pack held up well and I liked not having to fuss with a dry bag liner. It is made by Outdoor Research and is called the Dry Comp Vertex Sack."

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Nice, thanks Roman, I will have to look into that. I am not a packrafter but we get some pretty wet and nasty weather here in New England. Looks like a solid sized weekend pack…..

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Dry Comp Vertex

Light but small.

Roman Dial

@romandial

You guys are so good on this forum: helpful, quick, detailed and accurate.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

this is the curse of having a wandering mind at a big city desk job I fear Roman…… Thinking there are many of us on here that could tell the same story.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Jonathan,

Understood. My normal desk enchainment comes November or so, when water's too shallow to boat, snow's too patchy to ski, daylight too short to hike and it's time to get some papers written.

However, the Wilderness Classic is such a satiating experience for me that I indulge in a bit of internet even at the height of the outdoor season — but now I'm off to Denali National Park: work-time!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Chuckle… Yup, work's slow. Guess who's ready at the computer?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools