Topic

Diabetic Hiking Partners: AT 2010?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Diabetic Hiking Partners: AT 2010?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James Patsalides
    BPL Member

@jamespatsalides-com

Locale: New England

Hi! I'm looking to create a small team of relatively experienced UL backpackers to thru-hike the AT in 2010.

All team members MUST be diabetic (type 1 or 2), as I'm hoping to get a sponsorship from one of the pharma companies and planning to write a book about how diabetes can be effectively managed on the trail. I'm already working to develop some meal plans and light backpacking practices which are designed specifically for diabetics.

Reply here or send a PM if you're interested in teaming up on this project. Cheers!

James (type 2 diabetic and lightweight backpacker).

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hi James, I'm a type 1 diabetic and though I wouldn't be able to join the group, I'd like to keep up with what you are doing. I know full well just how much of a challenge it can be sometimes.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

I'm a Type 1 myself. A full thru-hike isn't possible for me due to other constraints in life, but if you decide to change this to a section hike attempt please keep me posted. I'm currently section hiking the AT with another group which does 75-100 miles twice per year for 7 days at a time. I've found this method to be the best way for me to maintain a regular life, hit the trail, and not burn out otherwise underused muscles. I like seeing my kids as much as possible too…but at 6 months and 2 years old they can't really make the trek. So section hiking is my only alternative.

On another note, nice gear list.

Being a fellow "James", could you possibly make the "not Jim" part larger and more pronounced. I get that a lot too and I hate it. I can think of few other names where people feel inclined to make up a nickname which doesn't have some obvious trait of being rooted to our legitimate name. For the world to understand our plight, "Mike" and "Michael" may go hand-in-hand, but "James" and "Jim" do not. The name "Jim", to many people named "James", represents an entirely new name. Unless you want us to make up a name for you too, don't call us "Jim" unless we tell you to.

(Exhale)

(Stepping off soap box.)

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I too am a type 1 diabetic. I would love to do an AT through hike with you but alas my need for good medical insurance keeps me from leaving my job for three months.

Like other have said I would be more than interested in doing a two week stretch of the trail.

On a side note you may want to contact the American Diabetes Association as they often sponsor diabetic athletes and adventures.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Bump.

Mark Stein

@drmonque

Hi James,

I am just gathering info for a possible AT thru hike this season, and I came across your post. Did the trip happen? How about your book? I would be very appreciative of anything you could recommend for our unique hiking situation.

Best regards, and thanks for your time,

Mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools