Topic

Pancakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have tried 4 different fry pans.

1 Ti fry pan from Japan-> WORST d@mn pan made. Hot spot in center, cool on the edges and food sticks like crazy.

2. 8" aluminum non-stick-> Nice for a small group. I removed the handle

3. Small (5 inch) non stick-> too small fer me

4. small 5.75 inch non stick ceramic coated-> just barely large enough and a great non-stick finish. From WallyMart (GAK!) This is the best one yet for solo or 2 people. (Handle removed also.)

I carry a tiny plastic spatula and it's great for cooking scrambled eggs too.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I have at least one pot top "pan" in nonstick but am not crazy about it as a go to option.

The small ceramic from Wally World sounds promising – for those who remove the handles from these how do you control the pan/heat – solely with the stove control? I tend to move my pans on/off the heat when cooking to regulate temp particularly on gas. It seems like grabbing the pan at some point is a necessity and no handle seems problematic – unless youre using a pot grabber of some sort?

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

So the pan, stove and maple syrup has been figured out what about butter and crispy edges…
    I have never tried dehydrated butter, does it work… No butter is a deal breaker for me…

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You could just bring butter in a Ziplock bag. Nowadays I have a small screw-top container that I put coconut oil or ghee in and use that for cooking. Coconut oil doesn't need to be refrigerated. They both will get you crispy fat-laden pancakes.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

butter is quite shelf stable. We leave it out on the counter for days at a time. It never seems to go rancid. Gee is even more shelf stable.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yep, just carry the real thing!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Ben's right. Butter will last a long time unrefrigerated–should do a week easy. Butter has been around for thousands of years and refrigeration started going mainstream in the 1920s.

There's also the option of butter flavored oil.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools