Topic

Quilt + beanie = extra weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilt + beanie = extra weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tae Kim

@taegello

I understand that quilt is a lot more comfortable since you aren't bound to the mummy shape of a regular bag. However, in terms of weight saving, if you have to take with you either a beanie or balaclava to keep your head warm, whats the point? there is no weight saving!

can anyone post some pictures of how they would wrap themselves around with quilts in say 10000 ft elevatioin in the sierra…

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

I don't know that your assessment of a quilt + beanie is more weight than a traditional bag, far from.

Example(my setup);
    Golite Ultra20 Quilt = 540g
    Beanie = 27g
    Total = 567g

How many traditional bags with the same temp rating, and everything else being even, weigh less than 567g?

Also take into account that a Beanie can be worn while you are walking, making dinners, sitting by the camp fire, cozie for FB meals etc.
    Cheers

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Although, I completely agree that the beanie is a multiple purpose item. In bear territory, I wouldn't recommend using it as a FBC cozy as well as sleeping while wearing it.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Even with a beanie, a quilt would be lighter than a bag.
    The major weight savings of a quilt do not come from eliminating the hood. They come from eliminating the underside, where the down would be crushed and no longer provide any insulation. In this way, you are able to have less down in a quilt versus a bag of the same temp rating.
    The attraction to quilts is not just because of the lighter weight, but also because they are much more versatile than a bag. They can be used in a wider range of temps.

-Sid

Tae Kim

@taegello

One bag that comes to my mind is Phantom, heavier by just a couple more oz and rated not quiet 20 but 35. I understand going ultra light on Backpacks, tents and etc… when you can easily save up 2 lbs and more, but it seems ultralight mummy bags are already light as it is and imo, GOLITE Ultra coming at 19oz just doesn't justify me branching out and getting something online (instead of from REI) and not being able to return for a full refund.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I've understood the GoLites were a little optimistic on their ratings.

Jessen Jacobsen
    BPL Member

@jessenj

Locale: Boulder

True, when you look at the MH Phantom 32* (reg) which weighs 21 ounces, a quilt doesn't really have that much more weight savings. My homemade quilt for example weighs 22 ounces, but then again it can take me down to 20* and into the teens if I add layers. But all things being equal, I don't use a quilt because of the weight savings; I use it because I don't have to feel confined by a mummy bag. I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, and the quilt lets my kick my legs around.

And people are right about the beanie. Chances are you are going to bring one anyways, so it really isn't "extra weight" when you think about it.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Quilts are usually a couple of ounces lighter than a bag of comparable rating. For bags that are true 20 degree bags, the difference between a bag and a quilt can be around 10oz (eg. compare the WM ultralite to JRB quilt).

For 30 degree bags/quilts there is not much difference in weight, often only 2 ounces or so. You can save a bit more if you have the $$$ for a Nunatuk quilt but the weight savings are still seldom more than 4 ounces if you are getting, say, a WM summerlite. If you need a larger bag (eg. megalite) then the weight savings by using a quilt are more attractive.

So for 30 degree bags/quilts, it is largely a matter of preference according to how you like to sleep. For colder 20 degree conditions there are more weight savings to be had… but having said that, many people prefer a bag below 30 degrees anyway because they want to completely eliminate drafts in those conditions.

Tae Kim

@taegello

Can anyone post some pictures of how they sleep with the quilts when its really cold?

i am going to order this online today if possible from here. They are having a sale. Still expensive compared to what others got back in June for like 140, but its the cheapest I could find at the moment

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/GOLBU20S.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=GOLBU20S

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would agree that the quilt doesn't have that much of a weight savings if you are in a narrow bag. For example, the western mountaineering summerlite is 19oz, my nanutak ghost is 16oz which are likely to be similarly warm. If I have to bring my down balaclava (2.5oz) it's 18.5oz -vs- 19oz.

So why do I quilt? I sleep comfortably under the quilt where the summerlite feels constraining… I wonder how well I would sleep if I was using it. It's easily for me to integrate clothing with the quilt than with a close fitting bag.

As to the hat / balaclava… there is the double use angle… I normally bring some sort of hat. The other thing is that as a side sleeper I don't actually need a hat. In cold conditions the quilt goes over my head. Rather than sealing around my neck the draw sting is used to make a narrow "breathing hole".

–Mark

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

having a hood that's independent from the quilt (or bag) is something I like. I can turn inside the quilt/bag and the hood turns with me so I'm not eating fabric nor breathing inside the insulation. You can do this with a traditional mummy bag if you make the bag turn with you but then you expose crushed down that has to loft with new air that you have to warm. Maybe not a big deal unless you turn a lot but I prefer to turn independently from the quilt, much as I do in a bed and a separate hood (whatever I use for a hood) is perfect for this.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds like some sort of breakfast food— quilts and beanies.

I would be carrying a beanie anyway in cool/cold weather. The advantage to a quilt is that the down is all on top, giving more warmth and using 100% of the weight for insulation rather than crushing 25% of it under your body. Properly done, a quilt gives the same temperature rating with less weight.

I wear a beanie in a regular mummy bag in colder weather– think of it like socks. In a good selection of layered clothing and sleeping bag, you can sleep in some of your clothes, giving multiple uses and allowing a lighter bag for the same temperature. Power Stretch jammies are the best :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools