Topic

Hey Mountainsmith Ghost Backpack Owners!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hey Mountainsmith Ghost Backpack Owners!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Do you love your pack, but turn green with envy at the sight of ULA backpacks with hip belt pockets? Do you love the comfort of the Ghost’s triangulated hip belt straps but lament the impossibility of adding a pocket to the hip belt without interfering with those straps? Have you — through sheer desperation — clipped a pocket directly to the straps themselves, only to see the pocket dangle awkwardly every time you loosen those straps?

If so, click here and see if my solution will work for you!

Thanks, Jason Klass, for letting me post my experiment on your website!

Sai

@saizai

Clever. /me like. Worth the $22+ship + 2oz upgrade?

ULA =?

Any particular versions/colors come with more easily-removed logos?

*eyes an old hippack for possible cannibalism*

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

ULA packs have gotten wonderful user feedback. If the packs fit you well and you either prefer or don’t mind top loading, then go for it.

But if, like me, you much prefer zipper/panel loading and you crave hip belt pockets too, then yes, it’s worth it.

Sai

@saizai

I took the Ghost ’cause it was the lightest ~3000 cuin pack I could find that seemed durable enough to get chucked around in mixed urban/rural/backwoods circumstances. Since I’m intending my gear for world travel (not just PCT/AT babying), that’s a nonnegotiable. Panel loading is preferable too of course.

Is there any purpose to those two vertical straps of fabric nearest the front buckle, on the tip of the hip pads? I just use ’em as thumbrests.

Also, I remember seeing some mention that there was some sort of accessory addon pouch(s) that attached either at the chest or the hippads – any idea about that?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I believe the two vertical straps are there to prevent the hip belt straps from dangling around too much.

Yes, MS used to carry various accessory pouches, but not any more. BackcountryGear.com is one of the very few retailers still stocking them — although only in the small size:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/MS8100

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools