Topic

Conduit too big?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Conduit too big?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris arvin
    BPL Member

@kychris

Locale: Red River Gorge Area

I have been slimming down my kit this year. I started with a Circuit but as I changed gear it got to the point that I knew I could go with something a little smaller.

I ordered and received a Conduit. Packed with my gear my load is still below the extension collar. Now I did stick my sleeping bag into a trash compactor bag and squish it down.

So, should I send back the Conduit and buy a GG Miniposa? Or should I only lightly pack my bag and try to fill up the space? I could also try using a bigger pad. I'm using a 1/4" thick piece of volara foam folded into thirds placed against the back.

I really like the Conduit. It's more durable than the Mini and I really like the fine stretchy mesh that ULA is using on the outside pockets. The only thing I don't like is the drawstring top instead of a rolltop.

Thanks for any help.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

I ran into a similar problem after I made some gear changes. There isn't any difference between the two when it comes to the volumes posted on their product pages.

Miniposa – 2,400 c.i. (39 l.) in main pack body/extension collar
    Conduit – Main Body: 2,100 & Ext. Collar: 300

I found that most UL cottage companies GG, ULA, MLD, etc. don't offer much when it comes to smaller than 2,500 ci packs. Zpacks have an 1,800 ci pack, and Golite has a 25 liter pack. Black Diamond, REI, and Salomon have some 30ish liter packs made out of heavier materials and geared towards adventure racers.

I decided to substitute different sleeping pads according to how much volume is left over, which right now means deciding between a BA Insulated Air Core, GG Thinlight, and a generic closed cell foam pad. I really like the side compression chords that the Ohm has.

Anyone else have any tips for dealing with unused volume?

Art Sandt

@artsandt

A third option would be a third backpack, more durable than the miniposa and smaller than the conduit. If you want one of those, maybe go for a silnylon backpack like those made by Mountain Laurel Designs or Zpacks. Otherwise, I'd just pack the conduit more loosely and know that you have extra space if you need it (for instance, food for 4+ days takes a lot of extra space in a backpack).

Christopher Smith

@schmitty

I just stuff my bag in the bottom of the pack without compressing it and it packs fine. If I do have extra space I just roll the top down and strap it. Compresses and packs just fine with all sorts of various loads.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

n/m

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools