Topic

seam sealing duomid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) seam sealing duomid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

The cuben fiber version of the MLD Duomid comes with a tube of seam grip.
    Does anybody with the duomid have experience with the seams unsealed in wet weather?
    Is sealing recommended?
    Not sure I have the time before a three week trip, so that's why I'm asking…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Jon,
    You couldn't have a better guy answering this question…me!

I used my cuben duomid all winter with no issues – no need to seam seal when the snow is falling, right? Then, I took it on a trip the past April on a 5 day hike. I didn't even think of seam sealing it. I was so used to using it that I just threw it in my bag and off i went….

It absolutely poured one night, and guess what. The water started coming in. Not gushing, but you definitely want to seam seal it or it will leak.

A lot of the seams on mine are bonded so there isn't a huge deal to seal. But, if you don't have time to do the whole thing, at least do the top portion, and the zipper. I found this area to be the worst.

Steve

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I seam sealed my Spectralite DuoMid in my basement with Seam-Grip. Just hung it from a beam by the peak and used my finger to spread the Seam-Grip along each sewn, untaped portion. Took, maybe, 15 or 20 minutes to do… then I left it hanging there until I was going to use it.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Quite a story, Steve!
    Guess I had no choice. Had to do it this morning or it wouldn't happen before my trip…Got out my syringe and saran wrap style gloves! Hanging the mid from the ceiling was a great idea!
    Always end up using more seam grip than I wanted (no mineral spirits on hand!)…
    Just a word: the MLD Duomid looks incredibly well built and designed!
    But just how does one use those clips (the line-locs, I presume) at the tie out points?!?!
    Jon

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Here you go Jon.line loc 1line loc 2

The lower line goes to the stake.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jon,
    Another idea for the LineLocks – add two knots at the end of the line

LineLockStopper

One as a stopper and one as a 'grip' of last resort.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Thanks Mike and Greg, the photos are most helpful…I'm outta here for three weeks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools