Topic

Trails within 2 hours of Boston??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Trails within 2 hours of Boston??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hi everyone,

I want to take a quick trip this weekend, but I don't want to drive far. I live in Boston and would like to stay within 2 hours driving distance.

Anyone know a great trail within that distance? I would prefer if lnt camping was allowed as opposed to shelters or designated areas…

I have been looking, but so far I have had no luck.

Thanks!

ferris jrf

@ferrisjrf

Locale: New England

I can drive from Boston to Lincoln Woods in under 2 hours. From there, you've got the whole Pemi Wilderness (and more) open to you.

I can also get to Waterville Valley in under 2 hours…and from there, you've got the Sandwich Range Wilderness (and more).

You've basically got the entire southern portion of the WMNF to choose from.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Oh sweet…for some reason I thought that camping in the whites was restricted to shelters, but it appears not. Maybe the trails I was looking at were just in an area that required shelter use or something, or maybe I was just confused! Either way, if I can wander, sleep when I get tired, and then wander back, I'm good! Seems like either of those places you mentioned will work fine!

Thanks!

ferris jrf

@ferrisjrf

Locale: New England

>>…if I can wander, sleep when I get tired, and then wander back, I'm good! Seems like either of those places you mentioned will work fine!<<

Both areas have miles of trails. If you're looking for solitude without having to get too far out, Sandwich area is probably your best bet. But the whole area is pretty sweet. The only places you'll run into too many people would be between the Bondcliff Trail and Franconia Ridge Trail; and right near Lincoln Woods…both of which are in the Pemi.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Whiteface in the southern Whites has some pretty sweet spots to camp near it's summit with water source close by. Used to be shelters around there but have been removed. Less crowds then trails to the north

Definitely recommend.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools