Topic

Speer Top Blanket or JRB No Sniveller?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Speer Top Blanket or JRB No Sniveller?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Burke
    Spectator

@burkeman

I’ve been collecting info from both sources, and I’m not sure which way to go here – the Top Blanket, overstuffed, has 2.8″ loft for 18 oz, but is only 6-3 long and is not as wide as the JRB. The JRB has more function and is wider, but I’m really looking at a quilt for exclusive hammock use. I’m also not sure I like the continous baffles on the JRB – the Speer has the down more grouped, so to say. About $50 price difference in favor of the Speer, as well as a couple of ounces.

Thoughts?

Burkeman

Andrew Burke
    Spectator

@burkeman

By the way – I’m 6-3 #215, for sake of length discussion.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Have you tried to email Ed Speer and ask if he can make it a little bigger? Ed is really good to work with and he might say Yes.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I really like my No Sniveller long (NSL) quilts. The hammock you have may be the deciding factor. I assume you know that the NSL was designed for the Hennessy hammock but will also work with others. You also may not have to choose. I have 2 quilts, one for under the hammock and the other for inside. You could use the larger NSL under your hammock and the smaller and lighter Top Blanket inside. I have never used a Top Blanket so I can’t comment on it except for the obvious. As a side sleeper, I do appreciate the width of the NSL. I have not done this yet, but I plan on using 2 NSLs under my hammock and my Western Mountaineering Versalite inside when it is really cold. I should add that I am 6’4 and 210 pounds.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Hi Andrew,
    I’ve used both the NS and the Speer TB. Both are great products! I was going to recommend the TB for the weight savings until I saw your height/weight. I’m 5’10” and the length of the TB is just right (I like to tuck it in under the tops of my shoulders.) The width of the TB is also just right to tuck in around my sides – sleeping on my back only. I’m not sure the TB would be wide enough for you to do that and tucking adds a lot of warmth for me. (Of course, you can ask Ed if he’ll make you a larger, wider version of the TB.) I haven’t had any problems with cold spots from the JRB continuous baffles – in fact they’re an assest. You can shake the down into the middle of the quilt so that there is more loft on top of you.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Andrew,

Take a good look at the specs on both models… your intial post appears to have some in accuracies.

Pan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools