Topic

Throw Away the Fingertip Toothbrushes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Throw Away the Fingertip Toothbrushes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

While walking through my local drugstore last night I found these:

Colgate Wisp Toothbrush

There are four in a pack for $2.59 AND they come with a pellet of toothpaste already in place for the first use! They are individually packaged so you can take one out and leave the others sealed. Nice!

Here's a close-up (with apologies for my macro photography):

Wisp Toothbrush

The weight? At 2 grams each it's double my finger-tip toothbrush, but I'm making the switch anyway. It's about four inches long and is much easier to use than my prison brush.

The included pellet of toothpaste makes me wonder if Mike Clelland! patented his infamous toothpaste drops and is about to retire a rich man or if maybe he's making them on the side for Colgate to pick up a little extra gear money…

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Somebody already pointed these out a while back, but I can't remember who. Although they are extremely light, they are only good for one brushing. Meaning you would have to take atleast one for each day you're out.

I use a Coghlan's Pack-Lite toothbrush. Initially, it weighs in at a whopping 1 oz. However, if you throw away the hidden toothpaste holder and the case it comes in, it becomes only 0.5 oz. Not bad for a full length toothbrush.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Tried 'em a few months ago, thinking that Colgate was prob. exaggerating with the "one-use" thing, and I could use one several times. They weren't–I'm not even sure they're good for that much. The "toothpaste" is like a weird little piece of toothpaste-flavored hard candy, and the bristles are a soft plastic that mash out to nothing in a couple seconds. The toothpick end might work okay, but 2 grams is a little heavy for a toothpick.

If you had better luck, Kevin, I salute you.

PS where'd you get the prison brush?

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

what a waste of packing/plastic

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

I think they work fine. Just add a little DR.Bs and you are good to go.

Barnett Childress

@barnett_childress

Locale: New England

I switched from a finger TB to one of these. I get multiple use out of it as well with a drop of DR B's soap like Jeffery.

It doesn't compare to a regular TB head & bristles, but I think its a step up from the finger TB. For short trips I carry a Wisp TB & some floss in a BPL 2"x3" Micro Zip for .13oz.

Allison Sayre

@teamalli

Locale: PNW

Why not just get a baby/toddler toothbrush instead? They probably weigh nearly the same except the baby toothbrush is able to be used multiple times.

S P

@highaltitude

I splurge and take a regular travel toothbrush. No way my finger is going in my mouth every night and morning.

Every ULer has their comforts that they take and sacrifice weight for :-)

Allison Sayre

@teamalli

Revising my previous post based on my shopping experience the other day. I picked up a "travel toothbrush" for $.99 which, including the protective cap, weighs 10 grams. This is a toothbrush that is meant to be used more than once and you get a full sized brush.

Barnett Childress

@barnett_childress

Locale: New England

Alli,
    Do you have a brand or name you can share?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Like a lot of people, I use a regular toothbrush, cut down to ~4 inches. Weighs 6 grams. The best thing about it being cut down isn't the weight savings; it's that it fits easily into a ziplock with toothpaste, sunscreen and other little smellables.

Allison Sayre

@teamalli

I bought it in the travel toiletry section at Target. It comes in a zip bag with a little tube of toothpaste as well.

chris arvin
    BPL Member

@kychris

Locale: Red River Gorge Area

I tried those disposable brushes and didn't like them. I'm with Alli and bought the travel brush from Target. It's worth a few grams for me to be able to brush my teeth thoroughly.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm pretty sure my fingertip toothbrushes came from REI.

Jessen Jacobsen
    BPL Member

@jessenj

Locale: Boulder

I cut a simple plastic toothbrush down to about 3 inches and 4 grams.

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97ËšN, 95.26ËšW

I've been using a Spongebob Kid's Toothbrush. Also fits in a ziploc sandwich bag. I'm not down w/ the buy and pitch BS thrown at us from the big toiletry companies. Toothbrushes create enough plastic in the landfill as it is. There's other ways to maximize weight and not be tossing plastic every time you come off the trail. Sorry about the soapbox!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools