Topic

What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique What goes inside your dry (trash) bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Just got back from my first major trip (Smokies) and was blessed to not get rained on during 11 days somehow. Thus, I didn't get a chance to see if I have any "bugs" in my packing system. Within the trash compactor bag inside my Pinnacle, I placed bag, pad, pillow pump, sleeping clothes & extra socks and my jacket. Outside and on top of the bag went the tent, then the cook kit inside the cozy and food bag and finally the rope (if I needed to hang the bag), sitpad and pack towel kind of along one side. Everything else went in the outer pocket, side mesh pockets or hip pockets.

I'm curious if anything else SHOULD go in the "dry" bag or if one of those 5 items doesn't belong for some reason. I've read many posts of removing or donning thermal layers like they are right within reach, but I'd have to take out my food bag, cook kit and tent to undo my "dry" bag to get to my jacket or replace it.

Also, do you actually tie the bag closed in some fashion? I just pushed all the air out, rolled down the top and tucked it against the side so it can't just come undone. Thus, if I really took a dunk in a creek and didn't save my pack in a short bit, it would likely get wet inside, but certainly not just from heavy rain.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

This really wasn't a trick question. :)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

First of all, get rid of the "rope" and just take some string.

– next –

The compactor bag as liner should have – inside – anything you don't want to get wet.

a

(the white trash compactor bag is the best tool I've found for waterproofing a small lightweight backpack. 2.1 oz and it waterproofs EVERYTHING)

You can nix all stuff sacks (pretty much) except for the food bag. No stuff sack for the sleeping bag, and nothing for clothes.

If it's a nice day, so don't worry. But, if it looks like rain, I put it ALL inside except for:

Rain gear, that can stay on top, outside of the bag, because you'll need that if it rains, right?

And, I sometimes (but not always) put the sleeping tarp UNDER the bag, in my pack first. If it's raining and I have to set up camp, that'll get wet regardless.

AND – If it rains at night (or if it's dewey in the AM), I stick the tarp in the bottom, and the plastic bag on top, that way the contents of my COMPACTOR BAG stay dry.

If stuff gets wet, it gets heavy. And if it falls in the river on a nice dry day, I still want it protected.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Hefty is what I have though mine weighs 2.5 oz

You don't put your food bag inside during rain do you? Would think food odors would then be inside your compactor bag and thus all your stuff.

Do you tie your's off every time in case it falls in the river or just roll and tuck?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools