Topic

Summer Hat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summer Hat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Gassler

@jhgassler

I have gotten more excited about going ultralight since finding your website and joining as a member. I weighed all my stuff recently, and have begun getting lighter items that you have offered on this site, as well as from other sites. The one thing I haven’t found is a lighter-weight baseball-type cap for summer. I am getting pretty thin up top and I need head and face protection. My present cap is 3.5 oz., but it is cotton and seems heavy. Are there some good caps that are lighter, and where might I find them? Thanks.

Wayne Packer

@deathvalleydog

Look for hats made of nylon and/or Supplex/Nylon for with interior foam in the bill. Tilley,OR, Sun Precautions among many others make lightweight hats and Marmot makes a light baseball style hat which I’ve seen on sierratradingpost recently.

Kenneth Gurney

@drunkenblade

REI makes some nice UL base ball style UL Hats… I would like to know why you use a base ball cap?
    What about full brim hats? REI makes a couple of UL rain/sun full brim hats that are quite light and would serve you better in the rain and to keep the sun off the back of your neck…
    Just a thought:):)

Jason Shaffer

@pilgrim

Hi John,
    I too like cap-style brim hats b/c they mate better with other layers, but like you said, many are heavy cotton and not so breathable. I’ve taken to visor caps for this reason — my favorite is the one by Cloudveil (Snake River visor or something?). Nylon versions weigh about an ounce, and are much more versatile. Alone in warm weather, w/ a beanie and/or balaclava, even in the winter. It can be worn over thick layers, but since its only a front-brim hat, it easily fits under balaclavas and hats, too. Just my 2 cents.
    -Jason

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools