Topic

suggest a 3 day for Dad and I in CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips suggest a 3 day for Dad and I in CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Casey Burnett

@casey_ula

Hello. As part of the road trip to CO to drop me in Boulder for graduate school, I want go on a backpacking trip with my dad for ~3 +/ days.

I was considering the 4 pass loop near aspen. Upon further review, the physical demands are described as strenuous in several places online and I'm cautious taking my 60 yr, less than fit father at high elevation (as Dad lives as ~400 feet). I can keep his pack weight to ~20 lbs for three day trip. However his gut may be a counter balance taxing on switch backs.

Any suggestions for Colorado
    of 2-4 day….
    moderate backpacking loops or in & outs
    10 miles a day (+ / depending on elevation change)
    crowds are not a concern…
    drive time from Boulder (less than ~3 hours would be appreciated but not necessary)
    Elevation upto ~8000 – 9000.

Thanks
    Casey Burnett

can't wait to get to CO!

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I do not know of anything at that elevation, but consider.

From the East Portal of the Moffat tunnel hike to Heart Lake, day two hike to Rogers pass and hike to Rollins pas on the CDT and down to Forest Lakes, day three out.

Maybe the Devils Thumb Lake – King Lake loop in Indian Peaks Wilderness.

Casey Burnett

@casey_ula

Thanks for the idea. Elevation is not my first concern, more so the change of elevation. I have to have a few hikes in my 'possibility' bag and test my dad on a day hike prior to going.

casey

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

If your Dad can do 10 miles a day in Colorado then I think he might do the Four Pass Loop, although you have a lot of elevation gain and loss each day.

Having said that I think a nice slightly lower elevation backpack trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness is a consideration. There are several, you can start at the Goose Creek TH, Wigwam at Lost Park or a couple of others. The Lost Park loop starting at the Lost Park campground is about 28 miles with only one section of steep elevation gain.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I would look into Rocky Mtn Natl Park, as their are countless loops or out-n-backs that you could do. It's very close to Boulder via Estes Park. You could also drive through RMNP (very scenic) and start your hike in the Grand Lake area. The trails there are well maintained and graded, and you can easily choose the lower routes if elevation is a concern for your dad.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I vote 4 pass loop in the Maroon Bells Wilderness. Seriously, it's awesome.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I think one consideration is that you should give your dad 3-4 days to adjust to CO's altitude a bit before trying a major trek. This can be done by driving through RMNP and/or doing a couple hikes at 9-11,000' (Brainard Lake comes to mind as a great day hike, as well as most of the trails in RMNP). When I have lowland guests visiting me, we usually just hang out in Boulder for the first 24 hours so they can get a handle on the elevation issue.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

+1 on acclimation. I never would have believed it, until I got a bad case of altitude sickness last month in Northern New Mexico.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools