Topic

6-7 day hike in BC that allows dogs??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 6-7 day hike in BC that allows dogs??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My wife and I want to do a longer hike in late October but I'm having a hard time finding a good trail in the area. We live in Whistler, BC.

My wife really wants to bring our dog (and I guess I do too because I don't want to pay $25/day for a kennel) which means that pretty much all provincial parks are out. Most National parks do allow dogs, but there aren't too many in the area (although we are willing to drive a decent distance).

One idea is something in Glacier National Park or one of the other national parks near the BC/Alberta border (Kootaney, Banff, Jasper, Yoho). There seems to be some good trails in the bigger parks (Banff, Jasper) but I'm a bit concerned how cold it's going to be in late October. These trails could be really cool, so I'm interested in hearing some feedback on how cold things will be and what some favorites are.

Besides these parks, the only long-ish trail I'm aware of that allows dogs is the Juan de Fuca trail on Vancouver island. That trail might be an option, but at 47km it's a bit short since we want to go for about a week and paying close to $200 round trip for the ferry (car + 2 people) sucks.

Thanks!

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

No idea on hikes, but d@mn you for having the luck to live in Whistler… :o)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools