Topic

Cuben fiber and grommets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben fiber and grommets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    William Lesmerises
    Spectator

@bjlesm

Thinking of making a simple cuben fiber tarp and would like to know if you can grommet the material or does this weaken the material too much and lead to rips. I really dont want to bother sewing tie-in point all over the place and small grommets seem like an easy alternative. Thanks.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Grommets … can be done successfully with woven fabric but I have no idea about cuben. But a good grommet is not easy.

Take a look at what Scott did on his shelter.

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

Personally I think a grommet on cuben is a bad idea. As soon as you put holes in it loses almost all structurally integrity. A bonded on loop however will be strong enough that the material will fail first. They are pretty easy also.

William Lesmerises
    Spectator

@bjlesm

Thanks for the replies. If I did the bonded loops, would be be better to sandwich the tarp between the doubled loop, or bond the loop on one side of the tarp. Is it necessary to reinforce the corners of the tarp before appling the loops? Thanks again.

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

>would be be better to sandwich the tarp between the doubled loop, or bond the loop on one side of the tarp

I think it is better to sandwhich the tarp between the doubled loop. This will help prevent peeling.

>Is it necessary to reinforce the corners of the tarp before appling the loops?

I have done both ways. I don't think you have to but it seems like it adds alot of strength for the weight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools