Topic

The Walmart Grease Pot Sucks!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Walmart Grease Pot Sucks!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I finally found the infamous “grease pot” at Walmart just to give it a try. It’s a joke. The aluminum is so soft that my pot gripper dented it every time I picked it up even though I sanded the jaws down! Yes, it’s only $4.84 but it’s so delicate, I can’t see why anyone would use it now; especially since AGG makes one better. I feel like I’d have to “baby” it in the field. Not a good quality for any piece of gear. Am I crazy? What do those of you who like this pot use to grab it? Have you had the same experience?

J R

@ravenul

I guess my grease pot that I bought at walmart is different from yours. Mine is made of stainless steel, is about the same size and shape of a Vargo Ti mug (wraps a Nalgene perfectly), and came with a fixed wire handle that I had to break off (and had a relativly hard time of)

It cost less than $7, has worked well for over 3 years, and I see no *need* to replace it for the next 3 years.

I would however like to upgrade to something with an actual lid. Mine came with a grease partical strainer top, and I use pie plating cut and formed for a ghetto lid.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Jason, that’s the pot. I had the same experience. So, the grease pot hasn’t stayed in my gear box.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a sterno pot, which weighs even weighs less than a beer can pot – coming in at 1 oz. It needs a bit of care as it can be easily crushed, but when I’m done cooking I just make sure it gets put away. My alcohol stove/windscreen are just as fragile, so I put them away together. End of story.

I don’t see why one would have to worry so much – just put it away when you are done cooking. Whats the issue? I are you always falling over your own gear?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Jason,

I agree, the AGG 3 cup pot has made the grease pot obsolete.

BRIAN DARSEY

@t-back

I also agree that the AGG pot is much better than the grease pot and they are both about the same price. I own both and use my AGG for canoeing. However, I used a grease pot for over three years hiking and canoeing with no problems. After the question about the rim being dirty came up, I cut mine off and continued to use it with the same results. I have used pot grippers as well as a hemostat to lift it and have never deformed the sides. The lid has many dents but still works. It has served me well boiling water and dry baking both over a stove and in hot coals as an improvised dutch oven with the lid inverted. Your problems make me wonder if they are now being made of thinner metal than the one I have. This is all kind of a moot point when you can get a much better AGG pot for the same money but I just wanted to chime in and say that I did not have the same experience with mine.

T-BACK

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What is AGG?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

So, is the regular non-stick or hard anodized version the pot of choice; money being no object … $4 that is … :)

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

I have both and prefer the hard anodized (as does the owner of AGG himself). The Non-stick tends to slide off the stove easily. You could sand down the bottom to aoid this if you wanted.

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

Thanks. I suspected the hard anodized was better. Most kitchen pot sets are better in hard anodized as well; just wanted to confirm.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

According to George Andrews, the hard anodized is more durable (though I haven’t had any problems with the non-stick). I’m sure they’ll both last longer than I will given the now everpresent threat of being lynched by Grease-Pot devotees!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools