Topic

MSR SweetWater Drops

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR SweetWater Drops

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What's the deal with MSR's SweetWater 'purifier solution'? It seems to be a chlorine solution that doesn't taste bad and makes your water safe….kinda like AquaMira but without the 5 minute wait. What am I missing? If I use relatively clear (low turbidity) water can I just use this and have it all?

sweetwater

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Nope, I believe, it only kills viruses, and is meant to use, with the sweetwater filter, or any other filter that doesn't kill viruses.
    I believe most filters are adequate for Americas wilderness areas, without using anything else, like Chlorine Dioxide?

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Water-Treatment-And-Hydration/Basecamp-Water-Treatment-And-Hydration/SweetWater-Purifier-System/product

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I realize it's meant to be used as part of the larger kit, but what does stuff like AquaMira do that this doesn't? What is in the water? Viruses, bacteria and cysts? And this only kills viruses? But AquaMira kills bacteria too? Or what's the scoop?

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Depends on where you get your water as to how bad it is, but there can be all sorts of nasty critters in surface water. My grandmother had amebas for a while in the 40s or 50s and it caused her some serious problems.

While a stream close to a spring head may look okay, you might not realize a dead animal upstream that could cause serious problems. Also streams can go back underground, so what you think might be clean spring water, might have actually been running on the surface.

The idea is to filter out all the big stuff, IE amebas, protazoa, parasitic worm eggs, Giardia and other nasty cysts etc, and use chlorine to kill the viruses and bacteria.

I use MSR drops and have not had any problems. I give it 10 minutes.

If I am not wrong Iodine, pretty much kills it all.

Probably the most foolproof is boiling water.

Add distilling.

C K
    BPL Member

@snowlover

See the description in the marked area.

See the marked area

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools