Topic

Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Add an Ultalight D-Ring to Your Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Here’s an idea for adding an ultralight D-Ring to the shoulder straps or anywhere else you want it on your pack. No special tools required: only scissors.
    http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/addanultralightdring.htm

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Jason, nice concept; good thinking. One suggestion which comes from experience cutting literally thousands of cable-ties. The cut end of your cable tie is sticking out and can catch and tear delicate materials, including sometimes human skin. Here’s how to deal with it:

a) buy a professional tool which pulls tight and auto-magically cuts the cable-tie very flat.

b) a small pair of diagonal cutting pliers (aka “dikes”), like the very small Snap-on ones (i’ve found those work excellent)

c) here’s the best solution for someone who doesn’t need to cut a lot of cable ties: fingernail or toenail clippers, depending upon the size of the cable-tie being cut. The cable tie you used needs only smaller fingernail clippers. You can get a nice flush cut with the clippers.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for the advice. I left the tag end longer on purpose so people could see it in the photo. I normally cut it flush with the lock.

Rodney OndaRock

@rodneyondarock

Locale: Southern California

Brilliant and so simple.

I have been carrying the non-climbing carabiners, they come in reg, small, and x-small.
    like the ones attached to sunblock tubes, or nalgene or the tiny LED flashlights.

now i will start using the zip-tie. excellent. thanks for the idea.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools