Topic

NeoAir Water Weight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir Water Weight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm curious if moisture from the users breathe builds up over time into a significant quantity inside user inflatable sleeping pads. This may be insignificant, but it seems like quite a bit of moisture would get into the pad when you blow it up and it doesn't really have a chance to excape since it likely condenses on the inside and/or is absorbed my the materials while the pad is inflated.

Do you guys think this is significant? It would be cool to see if these pads weigh more after a dozen nights use than they do originally.

The NeoAir seems the most prone to this (if it does exist) because it has that complex web of fabric going on inside that could retain and trap moisture.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

The web of fabric in the NeoAir is nothing compared to the open cell foam in the insulated pads.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yes, but you don't blow those up with your breathe very much. A self-inflating pad mostly inflates by itself so it's getting much drier air.

Also, a self inflating pad is normally stored with the vent open so it can dry out. A pad like the NeoAir can not be left to dry out so any moisture that gets in is pretty much in there for good.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Dan,
    I was just out 11 days on a Big Agnes Clearview.
    Temps were always above freezing when I was inflating.

Occasionally I would see small droplets of water, but never many. Now, at home, looking at the Clearview, there is No water visible.

Do this drill in the winter and I am sure you will see different results.

Come January, I'd be happy to loan you the Clearview so you could do a 10 day test.

I would expect the report to contain macro pictures, weights, and a well written summary.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools