Topic

JMT Unsupported Record Attempt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports JMT Unsupported Record Attempt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Davis

@trailster

Locale: Cascades

Last year I hiked the JMT with the intent to finish the trail as a fastpack. Things went mostly well and I finished in a little over five days. I learned many things about distance trail running, all of it the hard way. Now I want to put it all together and go for the record that Michael Popov set in 2007, 4d 5h 25m. This is from the summit of Mt Whitney to Happy Isles, which are the true ends of the JMT. My run will start on August 2 if the weather is right. This next week my family and I will do a short backpack trip out of Horseshoe Meadow. Time to catch some Golden Trout. We also want to see the Bristlecone Pine Forest, which I have never been to. Last month we camped at the Tall Trees Grove in Redwoods NP, so we saw the tallest trees, and now we will see the oldest. After a week and a half above ten-thousand feet I should be ready to go. This year my pack will be 6 lbs lighter at 12lbs (5lbs base). I have also made many improvements to my gear and my plan. I am hoping everything goes well, but there is an infinite number of problems that could end my attempt at the record. I hope to see some of the people that have announced their JMT trips for this summer. I am leaving early tomorrow, so I can't respond to posts until I get Back at which time I will post a report.
    Thanks to everyone

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Awesome, will be waiting to see the official time.

Good luck

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Go rock it, good luck to you.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Good Luck Mark

Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Locale: Santa Cruz Area

Go Mark, go Mark! I look forward to reading about your breaking of this record. Good luck.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

…and here I am wondering if I could do it in 10 days..:)

Best of luck…Can't wait to read about this!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Mark,
    Good luck,
    Michael was blazzing fast on that attempt!

Michael Popov

@mpopov

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Best of luck, Mark!!

Watch out for that weird homeless guy with a bloody ice ax, somewhere around Red Cones near Reds Meadow…

I will be starting my supported attempt, trying to get the trail done in 3 days 6 hours. The crew is anxious to go and ready ro rock and roll. I'll be staying at Trail Camp this week, Thursday thru Sunday, look for an orange Hubba with a string of tibetan flags attached to it. Monday I'm coming down to the Portal and will start Monday night at midnight, on Aug 4.

This is awesome. I'll try and catch up with you. Unless you want to wait a couple of days and start together. Good luck and smooth sailing!

-Mike Popov

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools