Topic

Need suggestions on a Tyvek project

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need suggestions on a Tyvek project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Got some 1.25 oz tyvek coming from quest to make a tarp and a bivy.

I have read its best not to sew it, IE best to glue it or tape it, so the first question is what glue is the best, or should I just tape it ?? What sort of weight gain are we talking about to tape say a 9×9 tarp.

What is the best and lightest way to set up the tieout loops on a tarp??

I have read just use tyvek tape, but I assume you could glue a stip of tyvek on for a tie out loop too. I also want a few on the top too.

Gromets would be okay but maybe too heavy ??

On the bivy, I think I am going to install about a 4'L waterproof zipper down the side to help entry and exit, but I dont have a clue how to fasten that. Since it does not get a whole lot of stress I was thinking it might be best to sew it then seal the seams.

Thanks in advance

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

Troy,

I have not worked with tyvek but I would bet that the bonds and tape that work with cuben will work on tyvek as well. I thnk the bond is easier to work with because the tape is instant and you can't adjust the joint.

My post on 4 person family tent has a bonded on tieout method. There are other methods on this forum if you search for them.

I agree that sewing in the zipper is the easiest way and I think tyvek holds a sewn seam pretty well. One of my zippers on my four person tent is bonded and I think this will hold up fine.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Troy,

This may help:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12370&skip_to_post=167492#167492

I didn't re-read this thread, but as I recall; *Don't* sew it, that will result in tearing. Also there are specific comments on good (and easy-to-apply) spray adhesives.

Good Luck!

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

"tear resistant. (use 6-8 stitches per inch). Seams can be glued"-from Quest website describing the OP's actual product.

My only experience is with the heavier house wrap tyvek. The item I most frequently use is a hangable tool roll I made for holding files in the workshop.

If you are worried about strength, test some scraps. Be sure to familiarize yourself with woven textiles while you are at it; they tear too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools