Topic

Fastening a DSLR to pack straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Fastening a DSLR to pack straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Looking for tried and true solutions/systems for attaching my
    Nikon D5000 with its 18-55mm lens attached, somewhere handy, easy-to-grab (for quicker shots) and re-secure spot on my backpack strap (or belt). About 1.5 lbs. of camera/lens. Thinking of my GG Mariposa Plus or Osprey Exos 58 packs.

Any suggestions?

Kyle Hetzer
    Spectator

@ghost93

Locale: Western MD

My recomendation is to use a chest type pouch. I currently use a Think Tank digital holster 10 for my olympus E-500 (yea I know its old). Lowe Pro makes similar products. Also look in the G-Spot for another recent thread about carring a DLSR.

As to attaching the holster, I use caribeners. YMMV.

David Ure

@familyguy

Not sure how big the pouch is, but I believe Osprey makes the Grab Pouch front pack which may or may not work….

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

I made a holster-pocket out of a reusable grocery bag. It's a pretty simple MYOG project.

A few 10ths of an ounce.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Tamrac makes what I have found to be the smallest most trim and form fitting slr holsters on the market. I have faithfully been using them for nearly 20 years with not a single complaint. They come in different barrel lengths ie 3.5" lense attached, 4.5", 7" ect. I have yet to find anything that comes close. Ali

Larry Sullivan

@150mph

Locale: Los Angeles

Thanks everyone! The MYOG sling is cool, but I have no sewing skills (or machine). The Think Tank digital holster and the Tamrac Holster TeleZoom pack both seem to be exactly what I'm looking for!

Unfortunately, neither show the back, and the phone rep at Tamrac (missed the TT guy today) wasn't sure how I'd connect it using something other than their chest strap system. I guess I'm willing to spring the $45 and try to work out my own attachment system to hook it up to my backpack shoulder straps somehow.

Either of you using these bags directly on your backpack?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Take a look at the Lowepro TLZ Mini, TLZ 1, or TLZ 2 (Top Load Zoom). What size you need will depend on the length of your lens. These are lighter than your other choices. Most packs will have webbing, if not a daisy chain, running over the padding which you can clip a carabiner through. I prefer the Nite-ize s-biner as they are light, cheap, have a good gate, and are available in many sizes. The size #3 is a good fit for most webbing on shoulder straps.

Check out the thread "Full Size DSLR on the Trail" for some pictures.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22510

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

http://kgear.com/h/ would also be worth a look

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools