Topic

Great Slave East Arm Kiting Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Great Slave East Arm Kiting Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Sweeting

@nsweeting

Hi folks,

Just thought some of you might be interested in a trip I did last winter. Meant to post this earlier but never really got the chance due to a busy spring and summer treeplanting.

I live up in Yellowknife, NWT and took up kite skiing last year. After a solid season of practice I decided it was time to do a kiting trip, and so I decided on exploring the East Arm of Great Slave Lake. Covered almost 400km in 6 days. Didn't reach my goal of the community of Lutsel k'e due to some unfavourable winds and the fact that I had a job to attend, but it was an awesome trip nonetheless. (And as a side note, that 400km was covered pretty easily – no epic days or anything. During the course of the whole trip I had winds behind me as well, which are not the fastest winds when kite skiing.)

Anyways, I thought I would introduce the world of kite ski expeditions to folks who perhaps haven't heard of it. Maybe even get some people stoked into trying it for themselves! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I'm currently planning a trip across Nunavut by kite this spring – very excited!

Camp.

Kiting.

Crossing ridge.

Eating.

Making some phone calls.

Setting up camp after a long day.

First pressure ridge.

Taking a break.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools