Topic

sacalerts.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals sacalerts.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ted Piotrowski

@sacalerts

For anyone who sits on steepandcheap on a regular basis, I just made a new website which will save you a lot of time. The website is sacalerts.com and it notifies you by email or text message ONLY WHEN items you want go on sale. You just specify keywords like: tent, stove, patagonia, etc to trigger your alert and when one of those items goes on sale, you get notified instantly.

Okay, I'm done whoring myself out, but it's seriously useful and saves time/money (from impulse buys when you sit on steepandcheap all day). Check it out.

Please email me at sacalerts1 (at) gmail.com if you have questions.

kris dunn

@krisdunn

This is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

I do have one suggested enhancement. Some way to exclude items, sort of like negative keywords. For example (merino -women) send me notifications of merino items only if they are not Women's items.

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Another suggestion for improvement: Remove the limitation of keywords only being one word. Often times, I will find an item on backcountryoutlet, and wait for it to go on steepandcheap. It is usually a specific item, such as "icebreaker 200 leggings". I don't want an text message ($) for every icebreaker item.

Until this is possible, I will keep using my current method:SAC Attack and Gmail filters. SAC Attack sends me an email for every new item on SAC. I set up filters in Gmail to text me the items I am looking for ([email protected]), and delete the rest.

Ted Piotrowski

@sacalerts

"Another suggestion for improvement: Remove the limitation of keywords only being one word. Often times, I will find an item on backcountryoutlet, and wait for it to go on steepandcheap. It is usually a specific item, such as "icebreaker 200 leggings". I don't want an text message ($) for every icebreaker item."

-This limitation has now been removed. If you choose to specify multi-word keywords, just remember that they need to appear in the exact order that you specify them in the product name. For example, if your keyword is "rock climbing", an alert will not be sent if the item name is "Mad Rock Maniac Climbing Shoe" even though it contains both words.

"I do have one suggested enhancement. Some way to exclude items, sort of like negative keywords. For example (merino -women) send me notifications of merino items only if they are not Women's items."

-This feature is coming soon. It will probably just be in the form of a dropdown with options: women's only, men's only, or both.

Ted Piotrowski

@sacalerts

"I do have one suggested enhancement. Some way to exclude items, sort of like negative keywords. For example (merino -women) send me notifications of merino items only if they are not Women's items."

I have not put in negative keywords yet (not sure how I want to implement this). But you can now find gender specific option on your Settings page when you log in. The options are:
    -Men's gear only
    -Women's gear only
    -Both Men's and Women's gear

Now when you receive Steep and Cheap alerts on your cellphone, email, etc, you will only be notified if both your product keyword and gender preference match the item. Hopefully this leads to less unwanted text message charges.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools