Topic

My New Cook Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My New Cook Setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stefan hoffman

@puckem

Locale: between trees

This is the fifth generation of my MYOG stoves. Its made from 3 fosters cans, one redbull, and a 24oz beer can. The hardware is 0-80 and the potstand is t-top quilting needles. There are 12 jets drilled with a 1/32 bit. For pot, stand, stove and lid it weighs in at 1.3oz. I've yet to test performance because i need to find out the optimum height to cut the potstand to. I still need to make a spiffy windscreen and maybe wrap a little bit of wick around the pot. Anyways, here are some pics.All stacks togetherPot, Stove, Lid, Priming DropperStove close-up

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Looks cool. Remarkable weight for everything. Any chance we can get some shots of it in action? Also what is the capacity of the pot you have made? Any chance on sharing how you made it?

stefan hoffman

@puckem

The capacity of the pot is roughly 13 oz. I call it my Ramen pot, and its perfect for a single package of Ramen. The process is actualy kinda compicated, i wish i had taken pictues. The potstand is not something i would want to do again, it was way to difficult to get all 3 legs uniform, but i found a method that works perfectly if you have the patience. But for the most part, i just cut the bottom of a redbull can off, measuring how much height it would take to hold 1oz fuel up to the bottom of the indent, and JB welded it to the bottom of a Fosters can. The Fosters can serves as a built in primer pan and also a sturdy lid for the pot for storage. With the lid/stove banded on, the setup is incredibly stong.
    The pot is two bottoms of a Fosters can, one of them is about an inch total height, with the bottom cut out completely and sanded down with a dremel (this is the rim of the pot). This part is also stretched using an unopened Fosters can. The bottom part of the pot is another bottom section of a fosters can, cut to whatever capactity that you want. The lid is the bottom of a 24oz beer or energy drink can.
    When trying to build a pot, my first few designs were flimsy at the top, so i decided to compromise and use part of the original lid as part of the pot itself, thus making the pot more usable and also decrease the size of the lid. I will soon have a much lighter version of the lid that also fits iniside the pot with the stove as a lid.
    I just tested the pot/stove without a windscreen, and it boilded a cup of 70 degree F water in 3 mins 40 secs at 6500ft without a lid. Im happy with this, and i think it will be MUCH better with a lid, insulation and optimum potstand height.
    Here is a primitive pic of the flame pattern.Flame

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Good lookin' setup!

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

WHen you say fosters cans do you mean the 24 oz ones? and what height did you find was appropriate for the redbull can to hold 1 oz? Thanks.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Looks good. I am still stuck on Heineken cans.
    I have also found that a 1/32" hole is about the right size.

stefan hoffman

@puckem

The fosters cans i used are the big 25.4oz ones. I wish i could get them for cheaper than 3 dollars each. Plus i hate to waste beer, and its affecting my workmanship :). The height of the redbull can is 7/8in. That holds enough to burn for about 15 mins. I should also note that i use HEET, so a better fuel could increase performance.

I like the 1/32 a lot more than 1/16. I had a hard time finding a bit that small. I was stoked when i found a set of bits for my Dremel that came in 1/32 incriments. I think the fuel must mix with air lot better when the holes are smaller, because the cook time and efficiency were boosted about 20% with the small holes.

Where can i get a bigger dropper? Like the one in my pics, just bigger and with a longer tube. 1/4oz would be perfect.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools