Topic

The best Backpacking trip for kids!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The best Backpacking trip for kids!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Best

@ultralitejer

This year will be the first year for me to bring my six year old kid, I will start him off with short hikes. But where are some good short trips I could take him (I live in Southern California)?

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Where do you live (in SoCal)? and how far are you willing to drive?

Randy

Jeremy Best

@ultralitejer

I Live in the Lancaster (just north of LA). We normaly backpack in the Sierra, as far north as Mammoth. I have hike many trails throughout southern and central Cali. From Rock Creek Lake there are some good places, and down here there are some okay places outside the Frazier Park area. I’m just looking for any ideas.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Hello Jeremy,

One of the best places that I take newbies or any other people for a short trip is to go south of Mount Whitney to the Cottonwood Lake area. You hike maybe 1 1/2 hours the first day then a couple hours the second day up to the lakes where you can spend a day exploring the area or to hike up to New Army Pass. The hike back to the car is easy. Going further north I like to hike up from Rock Creek or to go to Reds Meadow and day hike out of there.
    Back over on this side (LA Basin) is to go up above Idyllwild.
    Randy

Jeremy Best

@ultralitejer

Randy,
    I will look at the maps, plotting the elevation gains and losses. Towards Idylwild, what trail or the name of the trail head? I’ve been there but its been years.
    Thanks, Jeremy

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

jeremy, where did you end up going?
    I’m dying to get out with my kids and OOS husband now that they are finally old enough. They are 4 and 7. I’ve been looking all over san gabriels, san gorgonio etc. for something reasonably flat/short/loop like. I can’t seem to find much except maybe long valley off the tram in san jacinto, but those tram tickets add up fast. I’m looking at walk in camp sites now (gotta start somewhere)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools