Topic

Maybe not wool in the summer months?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Maybe not wool in the summer months?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was thinking about going with a long sleeve and short sleeve Patagonia Wool 2 for the summer months to replace the Patagonia SunTech shirts I am currently using but it seems that the Wool 2 is not really bug proof and has little UPF. Is this true? Maybe I should just stick with my SunTechs as I need both where I live. Wool 3 might provide both but would be way too hot.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I would go with a RailRiders shirt like the Adventure Top or Madison River. They have better ventilation than any other nylon or polyester shirt on the market, IMO. You could also go with an ExOfficio Air Strip shirt but RailRiders shirts have more mesh, thus, better ventilation. However, the ExOfficio shirt is lighter.
    I wouldn't recommend Wool for summer, but I suppose it depends on where you hike. Although, others seem to prefer wool over anything else, even in the summer. Whatever you choose, remember that ventilation and breathability are the most important factors for keeping cool in the summer months.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

I've worn the 150 weight icebreaker through a couple of summers without ever getting burnt. It's similar to Wool 2.

Can't comment on bug proofness, sandflies here don't bite when walking, when stopped I cover up with windshirt etc.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Brett, I wear the wool 2 (or IB 150-ish weight) all summer long… cooler than my cotton with all the other benefits. These years I spend a lot of time on the water; most recently spent about ten hours a day in a canoe in some pretty sunny conditions. My exposed skin got severely burnt, actually got into some "light" 2nd degree burns. My torso, covered by my wool 2, was unscathed. I did think I could feel the sunlight more on my skin, but the end result didn't seem to be problematic for me. Regarding bug-proofness, nope, it doesn't do much. But you can't travel in much more horrid bug conditions than I do (north-country swamps during the spring, for example) and I've done all right. When the bugs are really horrendous I just put on my shell. One solution for you might be a long sleeve wool 2 (I prefer the zipped version) and a long sleeve SunTech for buggier days. But that probably means carrying an extra 12 ounces for the SunTech shirt? If so, would it be worth the extra weight?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Why don't you try one of the new Patagonia Merino Wool #1 long or short sleeve crews. I have one of the short sleeve ones and like it a lot. I am going to get a long sleeve one for some hiking I hope to do this fall.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

The SunTech is only about 7oz. I have thought about the Wool/Merino 1 stuff but think I will probably stick up the poly after awhile. And I would probably be all over them and the Wool 2s for summer usage if the came in light colors.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools