Topic

Calorically Dense Food Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Calorically Dense Food Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Locale: Southwest

I recently found a really delicious food that contains (according to the Nutrition Facts Label) 130 calories per 27 gram serving. They're a mini-muffin of sorts called "Aussie Bites". They've got 7g of Fat (3 of those are Sat Fat), 10mg Cholesterol, 35mg Sodium, 15g of Carbs, (2g dietary fiber/7g sugars) & 2g protein.

They're also made with healthy ingredients (Rolled Oats, Honey, Apricots, Raisins, Sunflower Seeds, Flax Seeds, Coconut. They contain no trans-fats either…!

One drawback is that they're not extremely durable, having a tendency to crumble. I haven't carried them on any outings yet, but I suspect that a thin plastic box would offer sufficient protection. Even if they did crumble a bit they are so tasty that I don't think I'd be too upset about it…

I purchased them at Costco, but after doing a google search on them I see that Sam's Club carries them. I also found a number of recipes for making your own.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Crumbled just means less chewing ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"One drawback is that they're not extremely durable, having a tendency to crumble"

Crumbled food takes up less space. ;)

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Sarah, Would you consider experimenting with some of the recipes…? The one's I found online use butter, but the ingredients of the store-bought'ns used Non-Hydrogenated Canola Oil… Maybe the butter would add even more calories…???

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Jerry, can you post links to the recipes? I would love to see them!
    Butter produces a texture/flavor that is unbeatable but….oil can be used often instead. Why is oil used though in commercial? Price and shelf life. Canola has a long shelf life as well, also has no real pronounced flavor – so you taste the other items.

Jerry Cagle
    BPL Member

@xclimber

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools