Topic

Droppers on Long Hikes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Roman Ryder
    Spectator

@romanla

Locale: Southwest Louisiana

I currently have my deet, soap, sanitizer, and sunscreen in BPL droppers. I'm only doing one resupply on the JMT, so I'm a little concerned I may run out. Any opinions?

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

If you are only taking one dropper bottle of each, yeah, you will likely run out. Probably the one that will go first will be the hand sanitizer. I used a one ounce HDPE Nalgene bottle for mine and ran out a day before reaching Guitar Lake on my final leg after a MTR resupply. I resupplied at Tuolumne Meadows and Red's Meadow on the first half and was fine with full dropper bottles. My DEET was in a BPL dropper bottle, my sunscreen was in a larger version of the dropper bottle. Of course, I went after mosquito season so used hardly any DEET.

Jeff Riegner

@jethro

Locale: The Mid-Atlantic flatlands

How have you found the droppers to work with more viscous liquids like sunscreen? Are they hard to dispense?

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

"Are they hard to dispense?"
    In a nutshell, Yes! But, you can open up the nozzle using a heated needle.

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

I've successfully increased nozzle flow to my liking for various substances with a drill bit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools