Topic

Adirondacks Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Adirondacks Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I am taking a group of NYC scouts to the Adirondacks in August. My object is to get them a legitimate wildneress experience–lakes, remote country, etc. I've never been to the Adironacks myself, though, having been raised in the west.

After spending some time with the maps, I'm focusing on the Western Canada Lakes region, which is reputably remote, and has a series of lakes within scout hiking distance.

If anyone has any experience with the Adirondacks, and can recommend a place that would be a good/better experience for scouts, I'd really appreciate it. (I'd hate to start these kids off on the wrong foot)–or provide helpful info re the WCL region.

I've tried to avoid the High Peaks Region, as I understand it gets very crowded, but even that I'm not sure of.

Thanks. As always, this forums on this site are excellent.

–David

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

David,

I haven't spent much time in the area that you're asking about, but I know that the section of the Northville-Placid Trail that runs through the West Canada Lakes area can be pretty swampy. The 'Dacks have been deluged with rain for about a month and a half, so you might be walking the kids into a bog.

I'd call the appropriate ranger station and see if you can get an update on trail conditions if I were you.

Unfortunately, due to budget cut backs at the DEC, the areas that see low usage don't get the trail maintenance you might like for a scouts outing.

Good luck,
    Dave

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

David –

I grew up near the Adirondacks and have backpacked and canoed there extensively.

West Canada Lakes is a beautiful area, and would be a fine choice for a first trip with the group. There will quite possibly be wet and soggy stretches of trail, and on my last trip there (2004, pictures below), a routefinding challenge where blowdown and a swamp crossing required paying careful attention so as not to lose the trail (a GPS would be a good thing to have along).

That said, it's one of the prettier hiking areas outside of the high peaks and a fine place to start with people new to camping; here are some shots from my trip showing some of the lakes, campsites, and trail conditions (along with shots from the Adirondack museum; the Piseco-West Canada Lakes shots start about halfway through):

http://brilliantmedia.com/bp/piwc/index.html

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Steve those photos are great! Where were the shots of Nessmuk's canoe taken?

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Thanks to Steve and David. Those photos are terrific!

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

Thanks, guys.

The photos of Nessmuk's canoe, the gorgeous guideboat, and other sights before the hike were all taken at the Adirondack Museum, a place I highly recommend for kids and adults alike.

It's in Blue Mountain Lake, and their web site is here:

http://www.adkmuseum.org/

There are trailheads nearby that head out to Tirrell Pond, the Northville-Lake Placid Trail, and other great hiking destinations.

Regards,
    Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools