Topic

New to Glacier national

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports New to Glacier national

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Ben

@aristotle_man

I just recently got a job and started buying up lots of lightwieght gear (although I think I have a ways to go)to go to Glacier park in Montana. Ive never been there before.

Can anyone here recommend any good trails or hikes for my 8 day trip? I really like the sound of the Dawson/Pitamakan hike but the permits for August are all taken. (What would happen in me and my friends camped in the forest without a permit?)

Thanks!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

See my GNP post on page 1 of my recent posts (just click on my name, which will bring up my posts). As for a permit, don't try camping without one. They reserve about half of the permits to be issued 24 hours before you hit the trail. Just get in line early in the morning (sometimes, they'll be nice and issue one at 5 pm the day before). If you get to a campsite without a permit, you might find that all the tent sites are taken. I wouldn't try stealth camping in GNP (the exception being in the wild Nyack-Coal Creek area)–the bears know where you are supposed to be, and if you're sleeping elsewhere there could be problems. Have fun up there–it's a fine place.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I'm pretty sure that you can get permits for camping at non-designated campsites, but you have to carry a bear can if you want to do this.

I ran into at least two people that were doing this last year. And they were not in the Nyack-Coal Creek are.

There's no reason to get too hysterical about the bears. Just take proper precautions and you'll be fine. It's not a matter of them knowing where you're supposed to be. That's a foolish notion. If anything, the animals in the park have been habituated to check the designated sites for food scraps and trash.

Dave

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Dawson/Pitamakin is probably my favorite hike in the park. If you can't get a permit for campsites along that route you can always camp in the Two Medicine CG and do it as a long dayhike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools