Topic

Porcupine Mountains Q’s?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Porcupine Mountains Q’s?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Locale: Indy

Hi All,

Me and my buddy have 4 days off work coming up. I went to the porkies with a community college last summer and really had a good time. We're planning on going up there and doing a 2 or 3 night hike. Are there designated back-country camp sites or can you camp anywhere. I know last time I went there was a bear pole and fire rings but on the site map on the DNR webpage it dosen't show the location of any of these sites. any insite would be helpful

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

It's a populated area so limiting your camping to areas that are already obvious campsites is highly recommended. There are good campsites at all the best locations anyway so no reason to set up elsewhere. When you get to the park you tell the ranger your suggested route and off you go. You are not required to follow the route you tell them and are free to roam whereever you please.

I would highly recommend exploring the entire park. e.g. start at Lake of the Clouds, walk south along the Carp (or is it Little Carp???) River, then NE along the lake, ending along the Escarpment Ridge back at Lake of the Clouds.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

Thanks a lot, do you know if there is anywhere I can find a trail map that shows most of the sites?

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine
    Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Don't know what sort of mileage you intend to do, but…Do the Big Carp River trail/Lake Superior Trail loop. If time allows you could also do a figure 8 loop, and hike down the Escarpment trail to the Government Peak trail, then take the North Mirror Lake trail back up to the Escarpment/Lake of the Clouds overlook parking area, which would be your start point.

Douglas Raymond

@dougr320

thanks very much guys. very helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools